floating frozen food

romperstomper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finding the latest batch of mysis (5 packs in total ) really bad, it all floats to the surface and then ends up down the return chamber even if I turn off the return it floats around it even if the fish are to scared to go to the surface the corals could enjoy it .Anyone know the reason for this ,is it old stock or something else ?

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you presoak the frozen blocks till defrosted fully?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a little iced up but still got the tinfoil on .
If purchased at the same time could have thawed allowing water content of meat to dissipate and then was refrozen. Does the mysis appear "dry" when defrosted? Could have been improper handling at the packaging end too.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you always fed frozen, is this something new? What brand are you using? Do you have any flow in the tank? Are you overfeeding?

I thaw in a glass, then dump into my tank, and the flow blows the food all over, and the amount of food I offer is eaten in about 20-30 seconds. Its difficult to imagine what you are describing.

OP
OP
R

romperstomper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you always fed frozen, is this something new? What brand are you using? Do you have any flow in the tank? Are you overfeeding?

I thaw in a glass, then dump into my tank, and the flow blows the food all over, and the amount of food I offer is eaten in about 20-30 seconds. Its difficult to imagine what you are describing.
fish science but have had the same with other brands ,brine shrimp and krill are always fine . Have tried with high flow and no flow and if you push it down around half zooms back to the top ,maybe I am overfeeding a little .

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe overfeeding a little. My fish even go get those few pieces that are floating on the surface. (although I don't know why, I feed them 4-5 times per day, small amounts.)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back