Floor Weight Capacity For Large Aquarium

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we're thinking of getting a large aquarium, specially an Innovative Marine EXT 200 gallon Peninsula. All in (main tank, sump tank stand, water, sand, rock, equipment), let's say 2,500-3,000 pounds. It's would go on the first floor and the house is on a slab. The footprint of the tank/stand is 71 inches by 30 inches. This is the Pergo flooring. 10mm core with a 2mm underlayment. I don't really know any other details about the subfloor ATM. The room is about 14 feet by 14 feet. Will this crack/damage the Pergo over time? I'm more worried about the structural integrity than scratches. Any other flooring issues due to that weight? Is there anything I can lay down between the Pergo and the bottom of the tank stand that would help mitigate any potential issues (even if it's 'overkill')? TIA for the help!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider putting a sheet of quality plywood or 3/4" wood planks on the floor for your tank feet to sit on to help spread the load. I suspect that much weight will cause permanent dents on the flooring.

Randomstylez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in the size of tank, and from what I have read/researched on this youre good if its on a slab. If this is above a basement then youll want to go and install floor supports by doubling up the wood and adding connecting joists.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a 125 on a second floor at one time with no issues. If your on a slab you should be good to go.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my tanks are on laminant flooring. Largest is a 180 gallon that had been running over 7 years. I won't know if the floor is damaged until I move it but the tank is still level. I'm on tradition wood joist flooring. You being on a call slab would make your floor stronger

OP
OP
P

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my tanks are on laminant flooring. Largest is a 180 gallon that had been running over 7 years. I won't know if the floor is damaged until I move it but the tank is still level. I'm on tradition wood joist flooring. You being on a call slab would make your floor stronger
Thanks!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back