AquaCave

Randomstylez

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi, thanks for viewing my build thread on my Fluval Evo 13.5.

I started this build on 6/13/2022, did around a 3 week cycle. I was given a set of 5 Red Mushrooms a week before my cycle was completed, I still have them but 6 now. They are always so big and open and built up my confidence for my first reef tank. These are the first pictures of my setup and testing the lights.
setup.jpeg
setup with lights.jpeg

6/15, 2 days after setting this up I went and purchased Live rock from a not so local fish store. Since I'm located in Sothern Maryland the nearest one was in DC about 1:30 hours away. I went and picked up some rocks I thought would fit my tank well from their limited selection. Drove back put the rocks, then sand, and filled my tank with water from my RODI system that I added this saltwater mix to, Coral pro - Red Sea. I also decided that I wasn't going to be seeing the tank from the right side and turned it so the AIO back was away from my computer desk. After placing the rock in the tank I was thinking it might look better slanted but decided that It would look good as is.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Fluval evo day 1.jpeg

6/23 I was given those mushrooms and placed them in the bottom right of the tank, I was concerned about them living while the tank was still cycling but They were given to me for free. Picked up a Eheim Jager 50W heater, but it wouldn't fit in the back of the tank. I eventually swapped it out for a Hydor Theo 50W heater which fits perfect in the back chamber and got the Inkbird thermostat controller.
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image1.jpeg

6/26 My cycle was complete and I picked up some fish and inverts. I started out with 2 Black ice clownfish, 3 hermit crabs, 1 Margarita snail, and 3 Nassarius snails. I later added 1 Emerald crab. Everything has been doing great and I have not lost anything to date 3 weeks later. The picture below is a lot more than is listed here, this is because I have a second tank where the rest of these inverts went. These will probably be the max amount of inhabitants to this tank. I also set up a Chaeto reactor on Chamber 2 of the back, I didn't have a problem with nutrients but I am struggling to keep my PH at 8.0 or above, and I wanted a more natural way rather than dosing GFO or other methods as my ALK and Phosphate are perfect. I am considering setting up a protein skimmer using the Bullet 1.0 HOB to make a recirculating C02 reactor without pulling any skimmate. But that won't be back in stock until 8/31, so I'll wait.
image8.jpeg
image0 (1).jpeg
image0.jpeg

Was given a free GSP on 6/30 from a local aquarium club member, this was later moved to the back wall of the aquarium because I would like to have the wall covered in GSP.
image9.jpeg
image10.jpeg

I tested my levels often for the first couple weeks after putting in fish to make sure I would notice any change. Here is everything I tested to ensure my livestock werent suffering anything I couldn't see to make sure it wouldn't be too late. I am easing off testing so much to once a week, a day prior to my weekly water change. Yesterday marked 31 days my tank has been set up, from cycle to now. My Nitrates stay pretty consistent, and I am still finding the best schedule for my Chaeto reactor which is likely way it does sway some. I'm not trying to chase any parameter, but I am trying to set up a consistent methodology that achieves success without having to be too invasive to the tank.
all parameters 7.17.2022.png

7/16 had been letting my tank establish itself more before I ran out and bought corals. My AI prime light arrived and my local aquarium club had a yard sale / event and I picked up everything else in my tank for 200$. Set up my AI prime for BRS 40% since I mostly have a LPS/soft tank. My AI prime parameters are 66% uv / 66% Violet / 50% royal blue / 50% blue / 4% green / 5% red / 25% cool white. I haven't messed with the lighting so much, and I really don't want to constantly adjust % by %, so I will leave this setting for a few weeks. My lighting schedule is 8:30 am ramp up to 9:30 am, ramp down at 7:30pm, power down at 8:30. Moonlight powers up to 25% from 7:30 to 8:30, then slowly ramps down throughout the night. I personally like the low light from the moonlight, it adds that more "real" feel. Will update if it starts to cause issues with the tank itself.

7.17.2022.jpeg
7.17.2022Orange.jpeg

I don't know all the corals I got or their names and if you can help me figure them out that would be great. I do know the types and I asked questions from the seller about placement, light requirements, nearby neighbors, If you see an issye please feel free to let me know as I am still learning. But I added 15 corals on 7/16, I dipped them using Coral RX, and only saw 4-5 worms after a 6 min bath while being shaken and pulsed over with a turkey baster. I let them wash in another bowl for 3-5 mins before starting to place them into the aquarium. My tank has a medium flow toward the left, and a low medium coming back. I would like to purchase a nero 3 but I am concerned it is too much for this tank.

Here is my current full set up and what everything looks like, all my hobbies on one desk.
full set up 7.17.2022.jpeg

Fragtacular After Sale
Partner Membership 2023

islandstonashville

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi, thanks for viewing my build thread on my Fluval Evo 13.5.

I started this build on 6/13/2022, did around a 3 week cycle. I was given a set of 5 Red Mushrooms a week before my cycle was completed, I still have them but 6 now. They are always so big and open and built up my confidence for my first reef tank. These are the first pictures of my setup and testing the lights.
setup.jpeg
setup with lights.jpeg

6/15, 2 days after setting this up I went and purchased Live rock from a not so local fish store. Since I'm located in Sothern Maryland the nearest one was in DC about 1:30 hours away. I went and picked up some rocks I thought would fit my tank well from their limited selection. Drove back put the rocks, then sand, and filled my tank with water from my RODI system that I added this saltwater mix to, Coral pro - Red Sea. I also decided that I wasn't going to be seeing the tank from the right side and turned it so the AIO back was away from my computer desk. After placing the rock in the tank I was thinking it might look better slanted but decided that It would look good as is.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Fluval evo day 1.jpeg

6/23 I was given those mushrooms and placed them in the bottom right of the tank, I was concerned about them living while the tank was still cycling but They were given to me for free. Picked up a Eheim Jager 50W heater, but it wouldn't fit in the back of the tank. I eventually swapped it out for a Hydor Theo 50W heater which fits perfect in the back chamber and got the Inkbird thermostat controller.
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image1.jpeg

6/26 My cycle was complete and I picked up some fish and inverts. I started out with 2 Black ice clownfish, 3 hermit crabs, 1 Margarita snail, and 3 Nassarius snails. I later added 1 Emerald crab. Everything has been doing great and I have not lost anything to date 3 weeks later. The picture below is a lot more than is listed here, this is because I have a second tank where the rest of these inverts went. These will probably be the max amount of inhabitants to this tank. I also set up a Chaeto reactor on Chamber 2 of the back, I didn't have a problem with nutrients but I am struggling to keep my PH at 8.0 or above, and I wanted a more natural way rather than dosing GFO or other methods as my ALK and Phosphate are perfect. I am considering setting up a protein skimmer using the Bullet 1.0 HOB to make a recirculating C02 reactor without pulling any skimmate. But that won't be back in stock until 8/31, so I'll wait.
image8.jpeg
image0 (1).jpeg
image0.jpeg

Was given a free GSP on 6/30 from a local aquarium club member, this was later moved to the back wall of the aquarium because I would like to have the wall covered in GSP.
image9.jpeg
image10.jpeg

I tested my levels often for the first couple weeks after putting in fish to make sure I would notice any change. Here is everything I tested to ensure my livestock werent suffering anything I couldn't see to make sure it wouldn't be too late. I am easing off testing so much to once a week, a day prior to my weekly water change. Yesterday marked 31 days my tank has been set up, from cycle to now. My Nitrates stay pretty consistent, and I am still finding the best schedule for my Chaeto reactor which is likely way it does sway some. I'm not trying to chase any parameter, but I am trying to set up a consistent methodology that achieves success without having to be too invasive to the tank.
all parameters 7.17.2022.png

7/16 had been letting my tank establish itself more before I ran out and bought corals. My AI prime light arrived and my local aquarium club had a yard sale / event and I picked up everything else in my tank for 200$. Set up my AI prime for BRS 40% since I mostly have a LPS/soft tank. My AI prime parameters are 66% uv / 66% Violet / 50% royal blue / 50% blue / 4% green / 5% red / 25% cool white. I haven't messed with the lighting so much, and I really don't want to constantly adjust % by %, so I will leave this setting for a few weeks. My lighting schedule is 8:30 am ramp up to 9:30 am, ramp down at 7:30pm, power down at 8:30. Moonlight powers up to 25% from 7:30 to 8:30, then slowly ramps down throughout the night. I personally like the low light from the moonlight, it adds that more "real" feel. Will update if it starts to cause issues with the tank itself.

7.17.2022.jpeg
7.17.2022Orange.jpeg

I don't know all the corals I got or their names and if you can help me figure them out that would be great. I do know the types and I asked questions from the seller about placement, light requirements, nearby neighbors, If you see an issye please feel free to let me know as I am still learning. But I added 15 corals on 7/16, I dipped them using Coral RX, and only saw 4-5 worms after a 6 min bath while being shaken and pulsed over with a turkey baster. I let them wash in another bowl for 3-5 mins before starting to place them into the aquarium. My tank has a medium flow toward the left, and a low medium coming back. I would like to purchase a nero 3 but I am concerned it is too much for this tank.

Here is my current full set up and what everything looks like, all my hobbies on one desk.
full set up 7.17.2022.jpeg
I like the setup bro! How was it when you clean and do water change? I was thinking of doing the same but got scared of the drip and leak. Overall your setup is nice!

Tunze