RandomStylez Build thread - Fluval evo 13.5

Randomstylez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for viewing my build thread on my Fluval Evo 13.5.

I started this build on 6/13/2022, did around a 3 week cycle. I was given a set of 5 Red Mushrooms a week before my cycle was completed, I still have them but 6 now. They are always so big and open and built up my confidence for my first reef tank. These are the first pictures of my setup and testing the lights.
setup.jpeg
setup with lights.jpeg

6/15, 2 days after setting this up I went and purchased Live rock from a not so local fish store. Since I'm located in Sothern Maryland the nearest one was in DC about 1:30 hours away. I went and picked up some rocks I thought would fit my tank well from their limited selection. Drove back put the rocks, then sand, and filled my tank with water from my RODI system that I added this saltwater mix to, Coral pro - Red Sea. I also decided that I wasn't going to be seeing the tank from the right side and turned it so the AIO back was away from my computer desk. After placing the rock in the tank I was thinking it might look better slanted but decided that It would look good as is.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Fluval evo day 1.jpeg

6/23 I was given those mushrooms and placed them in the bottom right of the tank, I was concerned about them living while the tank was still cycling but They were given to me for free. Picked up a Eheim Jager 50W heater, but it wouldn't fit in the back of the tank. I eventually swapped it out for a Hydor Theo 50W heater which fits perfect in the back chamber and got the Inkbird thermostat controller.
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image1.jpeg

6/26 My cycle was complete and I picked up some fish and inverts. I started out with 2 Black ice clownfish, 3 hermit crabs, 1 Margarita snail, and 3 Nassarius snails. I later added 1 Emerald crab. Everything has been doing great and I have not lost anything to date 3 weeks later. The picture below is a lot more than is listed here, this is because I have a second tank where the rest of these inverts went. These will probably be the max amount of inhabitants to this tank. I also set up a Chaeto reactor on Chamber 2 of the back, I didn't have a problem with nutrients but I am struggling to keep my PH at 8.0 or above, and I wanted a more natural way rather than dosing GFO or other methods as my ALK and Phosphate are perfect. I am considering setting up a protein skimmer using the Bullet 1.0 HOB to make a recirculating C02 reactor without pulling any skimmate. But that won't be back in stock until 8/31, so I'll wait.
image8.jpeg
image0 (1).jpeg
image0.jpeg

Was given a free GSP on 6/30 from a local aquarium club member, this was later moved to the back wall of the aquarium because I would like to have the wall covered in GSP.
image9.jpeg
image10.jpeg

I tested my levels often for the first couple weeks after putting in fish to make sure I would notice any change. Here is everything I tested to ensure my livestock werent suffering anything I couldn't see to make sure it wouldn't be too late. I am easing off testing so much to once a week, a day prior to my weekly water change. Yesterday marked 31 days my tank has been set up, from cycle to now. My Nitrates stay pretty consistent, and I am still finding the best schedule for my Chaeto reactor which is likely way it does sway some. I'm not trying to chase any parameter, but I am trying to set up a consistent methodology that achieves success without having to be too invasive to the tank.
all parameters 7.17.2022.png

7/16 had been letting my tank establish itself more before I ran out and bought corals. My AI prime light arrived and my local aquarium club had a yard sale / event and I picked up everything else in my tank for 200$. Set up my AI prime for BRS 40% since I mostly have a LPS/soft tank. My AI prime parameters are 66% uv / 66% Violet / 50% royal blue / 50% blue / 4% green / 5% red / 25% cool white. I haven't messed with the lighting so much, and I really don't want to constantly adjust % by %, so I will leave this setting for a few weeks. My lighting schedule is 8:30 am ramp up to 9:30 am, ramp down at 7:30pm, power down at 8:30. Moonlight powers up to 25% from 7:30 to 8:30, then slowly ramps down throughout the night. I personally like the low light from the moonlight, it adds that more "real" feel. Will update if it starts to cause issues with the tank itself.

7.17.2022.jpeg
7.17.2022Orange.jpeg

I don't know all the corals I got or their names and if you can help me figure them out that would be great. I do know the types and I asked questions from the seller about placement, light requirements, nearby neighbors, If you see an issye please feel free to let me know as I am still learning. But I added 15 corals on 7/16, I dipped them using Coral RX, and only saw 4-5 worms after a 6 min bath while being shaken and pulsed over with a turkey baster. I let them wash in another bowl for 3-5 mins before starting to place them into the aquarium. My tank has a medium flow toward the left, and a low medium coming back. I would like to purchase a nero 3 but I am concerned it is too much for this tank.

Here is my current full set up and what everything looks like, all my hobbies on one desk.
full set up 7.17.2022.jpeg

islandstonashville

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for viewing my build thread on my Fluval Evo 13.5.

I started this build on 6/13/2022, did around a 3 week cycle. I was given a set of 5 Red Mushrooms a week before my cycle was completed, I still have them but 6 now. They are always so big and open and built up my confidence for my first reef tank. These are the first pictures of my setup and testing the lights.
setup.jpeg
setup with lights.jpeg

6/15, 2 days after setting this up I went and purchased Live rock from a not so local fish store. Since I'm located in Sothern Maryland the nearest one was in DC about 1:30 hours away. I went and picked up some rocks I thought would fit my tank well from their limited selection. Drove back put the rocks, then sand, and filled my tank with water from my RODI system that I added this saltwater mix to, Coral pro - Red Sea. I also decided that I wasn't going to be seeing the tank from the right side and turned it so the AIO back was away from my computer desk. After placing the rock in the tank I was thinking it might look better slanted but decided that It would look good as is.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Fluval evo day 1.jpeg

6/23 I was given those mushrooms and placed them in the bottom right of the tank, I was concerned about them living while the tank was still cycling but They were given to me for free. Picked up a Eheim Jager 50W heater, but it wouldn't fit in the back of the tank. I eventually swapped it out for a Hydor Theo 50W heater which fits perfect in the back chamber and got the Inkbird thermostat controller.
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image1.jpeg

6/26 My cycle was complete and I picked up some fish and inverts. I started out with 2 Black ice clownfish, 3 hermit crabs, 1 Margarita snail, and 3 Nassarius snails. I later added 1 Emerald crab. Everything has been doing great and I have not lost anything to date 3 weeks later. The picture below is a lot more than is listed here, this is because I have a second tank where the rest of these inverts went. These will probably be the max amount of inhabitants to this tank. I also set up a Chaeto reactor on Chamber 2 of the back, I didn't have a problem with nutrients but I am struggling to keep my PH at 8.0 or above, and I wanted a more natural way rather than dosing GFO or other methods as my ALK and Phosphate are perfect. I am considering setting up a protein skimmer using the Bullet 1.0 HOB to make a recirculating C02 reactor without pulling any skimmate. But that won't be back in stock until 8/31, so I'll wait.
image8.jpeg
image0 (1).jpeg
image0.jpeg

Was given a free GSP on 6/30 from a local aquarium club member, this was later moved to the back wall of the aquarium because I would like to have the wall covered in GSP.
image9.jpeg
image10.jpeg

I tested my levels often for the first couple weeks after putting in fish to make sure I would notice any change. Here is everything I tested to ensure my livestock werent suffering anything I couldn't see to make sure it wouldn't be too late. I am easing off testing so much to once a week, a day prior to my weekly water change. Yesterday marked 31 days my tank has been set up, from cycle to now. My Nitrates stay pretty consistent, and I am still finding the best schedule for my Chaeto reactor which is likely way it does sway some. I'm not trying to chase any parameter, but I am trying to set up a consistent methodology that achieves success without having to be too invasive to the tank.
all parameters 7.17.2022.png

7/16 had been letting my tank establish itself more before I ran out and bought corals. My AI prime light arrived and my local aquarium club had a yard sale / event and I picked up everything else in my tank for 200$. Set up my AI prime for BRS 40% since I mostly have a LPS/soft tank. My AI prime parameters are 66% uv / 66% Violet / 50% royal blue / 50% blue / 4% green / 5% red / 25% cool white. I haven't messed with the lighting so much, and I really don't want to constantly adjust % by %, so I will leave this setting for a few weeks. My lighting schedule is 8:30 am ramp up to 9:30 am, ramp down at 7:30pm, power down at 8:30. Moonlight powers up to 25% from 7:30 to 8:30, then slowly ramps down throughout the night. I personally like the low light from the moonlight, it adds that more "real" feel. Will update if it starts to cause issues with the tank itself.

7.17.2022.jpeg
7.17.2022Orange.jpeg

I don't know all the corals I got or their names and if you can help me figure them out that would be great. I do know the types and I asked questions from the seller about placement, light requirements, nearby neighbors, If you see an issye please feel free to let me know as I am still learning. But I added 15 corals on 7/16, I dipped them using Coral RX, and only saw 4-5 worms after a 6 min bath while being shaken and pulsed over with a turkey baster. I let them wash in another bowl for 3-5 mins before starting to place them into the aquarium. My tank has a medium flow toward the left, and a low medium coming back. I would like to purchase a nero 3 but I am concerned it is too much for this tank.

Here is my current full set up and what everything looks like, all my hobbies on one desk.
full set up 7.17.2022.jpeg
I like the setup bro! How was it when you clean and do water change? I was thinking of doing the same but got scared of the drip and leak. Overall your setup is nice!

OP
OP
R

Randomstylez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the setup bro! How was it when you clean and do water change? I was thinking of doing the same but got scared of the drip and leak. Overall your setup is nice!
Its not bad, whenever I do a water change I usually have a towel in front of the tank. There is always a washcloth behind the tank.

I really like your scape. I have done salt water tanks before but never reef so I was bad with scaping it.

OP
OP
R

Randomstylez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been around 3.5 months since I updated this build and alot has happened. I Bought a protein skimmer, The bullet 1 which has worked out great. I don't believe I needed a protein skimmer but liviing in an apartment with 2 other people and 2 animals makes alot of co2. Since getting it my Ph is never below 8.0, and is usually 8.3 - 8.4.

I hadn't noticed much growth in any of my corals aside from my hammer and frogspawn. So I picked up more test kits for Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, and Phosphate. My salt adds some of each of these but I found it quickly drains after a weekly water change. I started adding Kalkwasser into my tank and in an instant the SPS I had all started to grow and color up so quickly. My blueberry diesel acro doubled in size from about 2" to 4" tall and more than double in width and amount of branches.

IMG_1181.jpg

After keeping my parameters solid and knowing how much kalk to dose daily I picked up more corals from a local aquaculturist.

IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1156.jpg
IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg

After I purchased these and they settled in they both split as you can see from the green torches top view. I'm not sure if it's 3 heads or not yet. These pictures are around 1 month old and their colors are all way more intense. Especially the one with a bit of red, it is VERY red now and has grown and started to branch outwards a bit.

I also came into some extra money so I bought more types of zoas to fill out my tank from WWC. From top left to right, Laser lemons, Gobstoppers, Whammin Watermelons, super saiyans, Fruit loops. Emeralds on fire, Sweet tooth, Tree house horrors, Monster mash, and a Ricordea mushroom that I got for 5$. Some i got just because its Halloween.
IMG_1185.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg
IMG_1202.jpg
IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1211.jpg
IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1144.jpg

After placing and adding these to the tank I started adding AB+ daily and the colors on everything in the tank really started to pop. I know why everyone recommends it now.
But shortly after that I started to encounter my first issue, this clear / yellow slime that grows only on 1 of the rocks in my tank.

img_1254-jpg.2880713

I have no Idea what it is but it is definitely photosynthetic, I cleared all of it off of my rock by blasting it with a turkey baster and then sucking it up and pouring it out of the tank. It came back once now and when I do see it start growing it usually takes 2 weeks before its a problem. For now its just an annoyance while I look for a way to deal with it. When its in the tank it usually looks like a clear white. It doesnt grow on the other rock or the sand at all, and if some does get on the sand it dies.

Here is what my tracking is at right now incase anyone see's this and knows how to deal with it.

testing2.png

After my kalkwasser success I was looking to solve my zoa growth as they usually only get 1-2 new heads a month and I heard they are supposed to be much more than that. I purchased an Iodine test kit because my water and my salt do not add any Iodine and from what I have seen people say it is the way to get huge growth from their zoas.

Anyway here is are some pictures of my tank that are about 2 weeks old now. Mostly everything was acclimated and moved to a place on the rocks.
IMG_1240.jpg
IMG_1241.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 123
OP
OP
R

Randomstylez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life has been hectic, had holiday trips, had a baby, bought a new truck...and forgot to continue this thread~

Updates since End of October

Sometime in November the growth really took off on everything. In Early December I added a new 270 gph ac power head, the Sicce voyager nano stream which I hope to upgrade in the near future to a nero 3. This was to combat the algae snot I had growing on my rocks.
3BBC820B-EBE3-42BF-B13E-43DCDA5EE86B.jpeg

Ordered a microscope and pulled a sample out... Chrysophytes. Apparently these are rare and hard to beat from threads on here, theres really little information. I ordered some NeoNitro and Neophos to get my levels above 0.01 P04, and 1-2 N03. Slowly I started adding doses. 1ml, wait 24h test, nothing. 2ml, wait 24h to test, nothing. 3ml, wait 24h... 0.01 and 1.0 still.

After about a week of this, stopping at 5ml and going for 7 days @ 5ml each. Finally p04 0.03! N03 5! I scrubbed my rocks of the horrid stuff, and sucked it all out. Did a water change and added 5ml of each.

Stable.

Religiously checked for days to find my ideal parameters of each, and eventually settled out at 0.5ml P04, 2ml N03. with my weekly levels being P04 0.04 - 0.08, N03 5 - 12

The few threads I found info on this were threads people left the hobby because it was unrelenting. If you stumble on my thread for Chrysophytes, Get your Phosphate and Nitrate up! Get more flow so they cant settle! Fight them and don't let up! Its okay if your tank looks ugly and fuzzy for a few months. Take it slow for results.

And let me tell you Christmas was great, my tank was growing well. The fuzzy algae I combated for 4+ months was GONE.

OP
OP
R

Randomstylez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January and the new year and I went and got a couple of acros a Carolina Reaper, and a PC rainbow. I also got a couple of freebies from the local seller. But don’t have pictures of them.
AFAA13D1-B082-4C46-BCEA-47EC960F2165.jpeg
27151D0E-3FAC-434D-88A1-5CC0AE519297.jpeg

I dipped and checked these corals but on the underside of the reaper there was some aptasia I missed

looked up natural removes of it and ended up with a peppermint shrimp. And for awhile things were okay.
Until the shrimp decided he wanted to eat corals. I found him eating my dragon soul torch, GSP, frogspawn, candy cane, and his favorite the pc rainbow. I couldn’t tell what was happening as the pc rainbow started to have patches of exposed skeleton and a few days later I noticed the shrimp eating it. I tried to isolate it but it was already too late. I lost the dragon soul and pc rainbow in the same day. And a few days later the frogspawn also.

And now the shrimp needed to go. And I tried to catch him at night when he would go to feed on my gsp. For several hours I tried to scoop him up with multiple nets. And I have never been so utterly defeated.
the next morning I pulled both rocks out and with a large Tupperware I caught everything. And then with ease I took the shrimp out. And gave him away to my local reefing group with a disclaimer.

OP
OP
R

Randomstylez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
February, March the only really update was that I had gotten a Walt Disney. Tiny little nub.
34F651F1-94E0-46BD-A152-19DD1B7C4444.jpeg

And this mango tango. It was a shaving on a clipped rock. This is 3-4 months of growth
4B61A10C-80D8-4BA3-94AB-713CC8924807.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January and the new year and I went and got a couple of acros a Carolina Reaper, and a PC rainbow. I also got a couple of freebies from the local seller. But don’t have pictures of them.
AFAA13D1-B082-4C46-BCEA-47EC960F2165.jpeg
27151D0E-3FAC-434D-88A1-5CC0AE519297.jpeg

I dipped and checked these corals but on the underside of the reaper there was some aptasia I missed

looked up natural removes of it and ended up with a peppermint shrimp. And for awhile things were okay.
Until the shrimp decided he wanted to eat corals. I found him eating my dragon soul torch, GSP, frogspawn, candy cane, and his favorite the pc rainbow. I couldn’t tell what was happening as the pc rainbow started to have patches of exposed skeleton and a few days later I noticed the shrimp eating it. I tried to isolate it but it was already too late. I lost the dragon soul and pc rainbow in the same day. And a few days later the frogspawn also.

And now the shrimp needed to go. And I tried to catch him at night when he would go to feed on my gsp. For several hours I tried to scoop him up with multiple nets. And I have never been so utterly defeated.
the next morning I pulled both rocks out and with a large Tupperware I caught everything. And then with ease I took the shrimp out. And gave him away to my local reefing group with a disclaimer.
Nice acros!!

OP
OP
R

Randomstylez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April was a great month for corals though! I had lost a few bids online but this week I was ready. I won everything I wanted and I added 4 hammer corals to finish out my tank for now.
F27C4DE7-1E33-4470-BB84-7D63CDA9B486.jpeg

Also prior to adding these I had discovered on the side I can’t see in the tank, an absolutely massive vermetid snail. Made sure to get some more bumble bee snails as I noticed a few on that side. I crushed all the ones I could see and haven't noticed any since.

This hammer mustve really disliked having this snail on him, because a week after I removed the snail it split all 3 heads and is currently 7 heads big now.
BEA9BF2F-01FC-4488-B534-9A6AE94233E1.jpeg

7EE9782E-BDC0-4455-84CF-6C61C8969923.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Randomstylez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And finally April.

April I fragged out somethings.

First I needed to frag my birds nest because it had only decided to grow up and not leaving enough space inside killing itself off. So I made around 12 frags and cleared a way to let the light shine through. Saved one frag in my small, fish only biocube and gave the rest away in my local reefing group. All 11 frags were given out for free.

Fragged my Pandora Paly/zoa as they were over taking some of my other zoas. I must've taken off around 20 heads and put 5 frags with 3-5 heads together. All of which survived and some have already grown another head since then.
Posted to give them away on my local reefing group but noone wanted any of them.

On accident I hit a nub off my Carolina reaper and stuck it on a rock. Going to let this grow out in my tank and see how it looks.

I Have a wwc Armor of gods 30-40 heads on a small frag, so I fragged that into another 10 frags and gave those away.Its currently still 20 ish heads and I placed it into another location.

I have these random red zoas that never grew and every time I glued them down my urcin would take it. So this time I let him. These have never grown in my tank but apparently my urchin is an expert, as there's now 10 heads growing upside down on the frag.... Teach me senpai urchin.

My wrasse also decided to eat some of the dead areas of my acros. I freaked out a little but decided to let him be if it is just dead tissue, and started to feed him more. 3 days later and I haven't seen him eat any more corals.

To replace the shrimp and manage the aiptasia I have, I bought some berghia nudibranchs and 2 batches of eggs. I let them out and night and in 1 week I can already see a difference. The eggs were sadly eaten by a bumble bee snail. But Hopefully the ones I bought lay some more eggs and wipe my aiptasia out.

Here is my tank as of this week. Running out of places to stick corals... Time to upgrade more equipment.
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-30 at 5.24.05 PM.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Randomstylez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked my tank at around 11pm last night and noticed a ton of little white dots EVERYWHERE. Pulled one out, it was a snail, 100s of babies. Time to not clean the tank so they have food

OP
OP
R

Randomstylez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2788.jpeg

Maybe the most over engineered fluval now. Ai prime + 2 21 inch blades on a custom machined steel powder coated stand that wraps the tank. I needed to double my nitrate dosing to 5ml daily account for how much more the corals started to grow.
IMG_2792.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back