Flooring Recommendations Needed!

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Red Sea XXL 750 on the way targeted for the finished basement. We believe the basement is a concrete slab currently with white carpet that is generally dirty but we’ve not tried to have it professionally cleaned yet. It’s been on the to-do list since we bought the house to do something with it, but before we add a monstrosity to it, we’re at a crossroads.

Option 1: just add the tank and live with what we have which is ok, clean the rest of the carpet thoroughly. The tank and natural spillage will destroy what’s under the tank over the years and it’ll be up to future homeowners to replace the carpet/flooring just as it was for us.

Option 2: before setting up the tank, do a drastic, costly overhaul of the basement right now that will both be tank-proof and add to the resale value of the home.

If we take option 2, what kind of flooring would you recommend? The basement is a wide open space mirror-image of the main level which has hardwood flooring. Hardwood would probably add the most resale value but probably isn’t ideal for tanks. So should we be thinking about some kind of tile, extremely durable laminate, or something else? The tank arrives next week and while there no crisis to set it up, we’re obviously excited to do so. Definitely don’t want to create a dedicated tank space as I believe that would detract from the home’s value.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Red Sea XXL 750 on the way targeted for the finished basement. We believe the basement is a concrete slab currently with white carpet that is generally dirty but we’ve not tried to have it professionally cleaned yet. It’s been on the to-do list since we bought the house to do something with it, but before we add a monstrosity to it, we’re at a crossroads.

Option 1: just add the tank and live with what we have which is ok, clean the rest of the carpet thoroughly. The tank and natural spillage will destroy what’s under the tank over the years and it’ll be up to future homeowners to replace the carpet/flooring just as it was for us.

Option 2: before setting up the tank, do a drastic, costly overhaul of the basement right now that will both be tank-proof and add to the resale value of the home.

If we take option 2, what kind of flooring would you recommend? The basement is a wide open space mirror-image of the main level which has hardwood flooring. Hardwood would probably add the most resale value but probably isn’t ideal for tanks. So should we be thinking about some kind of tile, extremely durable laminate, or something else? The tank arrives next week and while there no crisis to set it up, we’re obviously excited to do so. Definitely don’t want to create a dedicated tank space as I believe that would detract from the home’s value.
Do not do hardwood in the basement. Flooding and moisture issues could destroy it in no time. If you want the hardwood look there is tile that can be used in place of it.

ATB USA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing we did to our basement was to put down tile before I setup the 225 gal

Fish tank.jpg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull up carpet where you will install aquarium and tile the section underneath. Leave rest of carpet alone for now. This gives you More flexibility to decide what to do later.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with vinyl. They are making vinyls today that look like wood floors. This is not the vinyl floors Grandma and Grandpa had in there house 30, 40, 50 years ago.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull up carpet where you will install aquarium and tile the section underneath. Leave rest of carpet alone for now. This gives you More flexibility to decide what to do later.
Pick a tile you like that would accent the aquarium. Later on finish the basement with which ever flooring you end up choosing.

Future homeowners could remove the small amount of tiling if they wish and finish the floor with their choosing (if you left the carpet).

e3pillereefer

Longs Peak Summit
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP). Is waterproof and looks pretty good these days...lots to choose from.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used vinyl planks that lock together just like a laminate floor does. They're completely water resistant and seem to be plenty durable. It is now the only type of floor that I will install in my homes. They're not the cheapest but they're still cheaper than hardwood, and they're much easier to install than tile.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used vinyl planks that lock together just like a laminate floor does. They're completely water resistant and seem to be plenty durable. It is now the only type of floor that I will install in my homes. They're not the cheapest but they're still cheaper than hardwood, and they're much easier to install than tile.
I’m blown away by the all the replies! Installation cost is definitely a consideration; we priced out tiling a small screened-in sun porch; it was thousands not including the actual tile (which we were shopping the clearance section of a tile store for). Suffice it to say that project is on hold. At least until I get some tiling skills, but no way I could do the whole basement.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really interesting idea I hadn’t thought of. Thinking it through though, I’m feeling like this is more of a now-or-never thing though. If we were going to do that, might as well just put it on the carpet and in either scenario it would have to be replaced upon move/resale.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an architectural project manager I would not waste your money on hardwood as previously noted. Vinyls can also be problematic with moisture as can rubber backed carpet planks. I would recommended a couple of options that you may want to research on line.
  1. Carpet and pad. Will allow floor to breath just don’t put it under your tank.
  2. There are several tile options that could be considered primarily quarry tiles, jury is out whether to put under the tank or not. If you don’t have enough on hand that could be installed when you move.
  3. Epoxy paint. The industry is doing a lot of great things with this. It isn’t just for custom garages anymore.
  4. Exposed concrete. This is where they come in and actually grind off the dull grey cream surface until the get to the stone aggregate (about 3/16”). This will cut and polish the aggregate in a salt and pepper type look the more you sand the more diversity you get in aggregate size differential. It can then be sealed or stained and sealed.
  5. Sand off the sealer and stain the concrete.
All or in combinations can make for an interesting finished basement depending on how you plan to use it.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really interesting idea I hadn’t thought of. Thinking it through though, I’m feeling like this is more of a now-or-never thing though. If we were going to do that, might as well just put it on the carpet and in either scenario it would have to be replaced upon move/resale.
From experience, you don’t want the aquarium on the carpet. Many great replaceable floor options.

Water will get on the carpet, make a mess, and ruin it.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did ceramic throughout the kitchen .
im thinking of doing the entrance way and where the tank is ..

The entrance I am thinking natural stone
And where the tank is I want to put ceramic under it .
The rest is most likely going to be laminate

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make tiles that look like hardwood. So that's an option as well.

I saw a floor with them and honestly couldn't even tell they were tiles and not wood.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience, you don’t want the aquarium on the carpet. Many great replaceable floor options.

Water will get on the carpet, make a mess, and ruin it.
That’s what I’m saying. It will ruin the carpet. But if the other option is to throw the carpet out and put other flooring down, then the carpet doesn’t matter, it’s already being considered “ruined.”

Back