Florida Coast Fish ID

Kitkat717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is sort of a wild shot here! (And I’m so sorry if posted in the wrong spot) I haven’t been here in ages as I don’t have a reef tank right now, but I have a fish ID question! After searching the web for hours I thought I might try the knowledgable folks here.

This morning we were at Clearwater beach in Florida and saw a fish I’ve never seen before. I WISH I would have gotten a picture and this would be much easier.

It was about the size of a silver dollar, disc-shaped like an angelfish, with dorsal fin TASSELS—I don’t know what else to call them. They were long, multiple long sea grass like tassels from the dorsal fin like a moorish idol. But irregular like really long tassels from a Sargassum angler or tasseled filefish—just so much longer.

To be honest it looked a lot like an upside down freshwater angelfish (but this was saltwater).

1694968466929.png

Kinda like this with those long stringy-fins but off the dorsal fin.

There were three of them schooling together in a sea grass area beside a rocky area. Clearly its natural habitat, based on its appearance, is seagrasses or in/around macro algae.

I realize this is a long shot without a picture. Thank you so much!

OP
OP
K

Kitkat717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palometa?

1694970840116.jpeg
Thank you! But sadly no. The dorsal fin was much longer and flowed around the water like a moorish idol’s does. It was grey-ish brown in color, blended in great with the shadows around the rocks and sand and sea grass. Thank you so much for the suggestion though!

OP
OP
K

Kitkat717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strike one,
How about a jack knife
1694972235189.jpeg
Really close in the shape of the dorsal fin, but the body was discoid. And the dorsal fin wasn’t rigid and long but sort of irregular? Like a Jack knife and a moorish idol and a tasseled filefish had a baby. It was SO distinct I thought for sure I’d be able to hit a couple key words and it’d pop right up. Which makes me suspicious it might be the juvenile form?

Thank you so much!

OP
OP
K

Kitkat717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if I’m remembering right (at this point I’m losing my mind questioning this) I swore it had 3 long moorish-idol-like dorsal fins swishing around the water

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to think of what I see around, I have never seen a juvenile African Pompano but that has long streamers. pompano/permit don’t have long dorsal.
Think I got it this time, juvenile lookdown

1694974048093.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Kitkat717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That almost sounds like a juvenile batfish, but they usually have one long dorsal fin in a leaf-like shape as opposed to multiple tassels.
OK!!! This is really close! Very very similar to a zebra baitfish but no stripes. Definitely not orange and black like the pinnatus ones. But like this if the dorsal fins were less dense, a little longer, and more spindly.
1694974161013.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Kitkat717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to think of what I see around, I have never seen a juvenile African Pompano but that has long streamers. pompano/permit don’t have long dorsal.
Think I got it this time, juvenile lookdown

1694974048093.jpeg
YES!!!’ This is it!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH. It looked exactly like this:
1694974314113.jpeg

Ahhh thank you so so much everyone! I knew one of you would know! Thank you thank you!

OP
OP
K

Kitkat717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew, this was my next guess lol
Glad you got the answer, now you have to set up a tank and get some lol
1694974424248.jpeg
Hahaha I’ll get right on that 900 gal tank! Maybe one day Thank you so much for your help!

Fun tidbit, a few weeks ago we had a small remora latch onto our legs at the beach at honeymoon island. One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. The ocean is incredible. One day when my kids are a little less small and hands on I’ll start reefing again ❤️

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back