Florida live rock hitchhiker ID.

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a shipment of Florida live rock. I found a few strange worms. They are quarantined for now. The large blackish one actually lights up under LEDs. It’s also quite large, maybe around 2-3 inches. Any ideas?

92EDE49D-C700-4CB2-A153-4CD3840D0B3C.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black guy is a Eunice worm. How did you manage to get it out? They are usually in very tight in the rocks? Di ld it break apart? They can grow new heads.

There is an isopod in there, but can't tell if cirolanid (very very bad) or spheromatid (actually pretty good) without seeing its eyes. You can also fish it out and put it on a paper towel and see if it curls up like a roly poly--if so, most likely spheromatid.

Peanut worm on bottom right. Middle pink giy, not sure in the pic.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black bobbit and peanut worm
My understanding is Eunice != Bobbit. Loads of Eunice species and most seem to be detritivores and opportunistic predators, not the nightmarish ambush predators from the Indo-Pacific. Still, they can get huge, and huge opportunistic predators in a small tank (any tank) can become a problem.

NOT a keeper.

OP
OP
C

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black guy is a Eunice worm. How did you manage to get it out? They are usually in very tight in the rocks? Di ld it break apart? They can grow new heads.

There is an isopod in there, but can't tell if cirolanid (very very bad) or spheromatid (actually pretty good) without seeing its eyes. You can also fish it out and put it on a paper towel and see if it curls up like a roly poly--if so, most likely spheromatid.

Peanut worm on bottom right. Middle pink giy, not sure in the pic.
The pod is a bad isopod, he got trashed. The large worm was just hanging out in the bottom of the bag the rock came in. Thanks for the info! That’s kind of what I was thinking they may all have been.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pod is a bad isopod, he got trashed. The large worm was just hanging out in the bottom of the bag the rock came in. Thanks for the info! That’s kind of what I was thinking they may all have been.

Keep an eye out for more of the eunice worms. I use a red flashlight at night to see the monsters come out. Not sure how you'd get them out anyways though without breaking the rock apart. You can also check your fish at night for isopods stuck to them or use the stinky water trap method. Or...
On Fire Burn GIF by Searchlight Pictures

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the black Eunicid worm there (the non-bobbit) would be a great sump monster (provided it couldn't get back into the DT from the sump). If you don't want it, I'd seriously check around to see if anyone does - these specific Eunicids are rare and pretty, but I can't find any info on what the scientific name might be.

Here are the other threads I've been able to find with these:

OP
OP
C

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rock will be going into a mantis shrimp tank that isn’t fully built. I may end up putting some small fast fish in though! Those isopods will starve with no fish to host on after a week or so?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rock will be going into a mantis shrimp tank that isn’t fully built. I may end up putting some small fast fish in though! Those isopods will starve with no fish to host on after a week or so?
anecodtal reports of them being quite resilient in absence of fish. Most success I've read about were people catching them at night with turkey basters until the population dwindled--I was initially super worried until I found out mine were spheromatids.

OP
OP
C

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anecodtal reports of them being quite resilient in absence of fish. Most success I've read about were people catching them at night with turkey basters until the population dwindled--I was initially super worried until I found out mine were spheromatids.
I’m guessing where there was one, there’s bound to be more. Before I put anything in the tank I’ll have to set some traps and see what crazy stuff I can catch. I did find a dead tiny mantis in the bottom of the bag. I wished he had lived.

OP
OP
C

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the black Eunicid worm there (the non-bobbit) would be a great sump monster (provided it couldn't get back into the DT from the sump). If you don't want it, I'd seriously check around to see if anyone does - these specific Eunicids are rare and pretty, but I can't find any info on what the scientific name might be.

Here are the other threads I've been able to find with these:
The worm I have looks almost identical as those guys. Mine is actually kind of pretty under LEDS. I just moved his cup under one for a second.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worm I have looks almost identical as those guys. Mine is actually kind of pretty under LEDS. I just moved his cup under one for a second.
I have no doubt someone would take that Eunice from you and probably pay for shipping, the non bobbit types are hard to find and even harder completely intact like that one is.

OP
OP
C

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt someone would take that Eunice from you and probably pay for shipping, the non bobbit types are hard to find and even harder completely intact like that one is.
I’m holding on to it for now. If anyone wants it, I’ll gladly send it on its merry way!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the exact same white banded Eunice worm from my KP Aquatics and he took a liking to eating acroporas. We easy to find him as there was a pile of empty snail shells under his lair. I would recommend not leaving him in your tank.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that big guy is definetly an eunice worm (bobbit worm) they are scavengers but could also be predatory, i got 2 brown redish in my 13.5g tank, heres what 1 of mine looks like
20221228_093248.jpg

OP
OP
C

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worm is gone. I won’t be able to get a picture, but it’s legs or feelers or whatever those things are along both sides lit up a cool purple color under my Kessils.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back