Maybe that will work better than the Osborne Reef experiment they tried... :(

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm, a giant CUC for the ocean...

I hope this helps, but I can't help but wonder what the unintended consequences of this will be.

Who cares. We can always release bigger crabs to eat these crabs. I don’t see anyway standing up an army for a proxy war could ever end badly. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as 'lionfish' experiment, that deffinetlly did not work.
Who hires these people, clueless idiots.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who cares. We can always release bigger crabs to eat these crabs. I don’t see anyway standing up an army for a proxy war could ever end badly. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
This seems like a stupid idea. If the cause of the coral issues in FL are/is global warming - how will crabs eating algae (assuming they do) help? In reality - the problem there more likely relates to pollution - which will probably kill the crabs - and continue to kill the corals

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a stupid idea. If the cause of the coral issues in FL are/is global warming - how will crabs eating algae (assuming they do) help? In reality - the problem there more likely relates to pollution - which will probably kill the crabs - and continue to kill the corals

Shade duh. The original play was millions of jellyfish but they were previously engaged.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm, a giant CUC for the ocean...

I hope this helps, but I can't help but wonder what the unintended consequences of this will be.

This is a very good reply and why I mentioned the artificial tire reef. As a scuba diver when I see a healthy reef I see more than crabs. I see herbivores. Dead reefs or barren reefs I do not see them.

Regardless it is good they are looking at it but not sure it is as simple as adding a metric ton of crabs...

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason the reefs aren't doing so great is from the absence of long spined urchins. Specifically Diadema antillarum. There was a disease in the 1980's that decimated the population.

For further research, lookup Martin A Moe Jr. and Diadema antillarum.

Last edited:

Fish con carne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
global warming - lol! I guess its an IQ thing. Dredging, 1000's of boats, anchors, rode's, divers, trash, direct contact every weekend for decades has nothing to do with it? Freshwater runoff diverted killing grass beds, invasive species and on and on. Starfish and lionfish are wreaking havoc in the Bahamas. The US taxpayers are paying 12.00US / starfish caught by locals. Those big gold suckers. But you keep clinging to global warming. Hey how's that buoy temp data going? You know, the 2 climatologists (lol) who claimed their data was from ocean buoys. But the data string was NMEA and showed gps movement down the east coast (temps from ships main engine cooling intakes). Didn't those 2 "scientists" get fired from UC Berkely for fraud ? (yes). Post 1 data set, just 1, that is not obviously fraudulent, and I'll be nicer. I live on miami beach, which according to you and the other frauds is supposed to be under water along with half of Fla.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
global warming - lol! I guess its an IQ thing. Dredging, 1000's of boats, anchors, rode's, divers, trash, direct contact every weekend for decades has nothing to do with it? Freshwater runoff diverted killing grass beds, invasive species and on and on. Starfish and lionfish are wreaking havoc in the Bahamas. The US taxpayers are paying 12.00US / starfish caught by locals. Those big gold suckers. But you keep clinging to global warming. Hey how's that buoy temp data going? You know, the 2 climatologists (lol) who claimed their data was from ocean buoys. But the data string was NMEA and showed gps movement down the east coast (temps from ships main engine cooling intakes). Didn't those 2 "scientists" get fired from UC Berkely for fraud ? (yes). Post 1 data set, just 1, that is not obviously fraudulent, and I'll be nicer. I live on miami beach, which according to you and the other frauds is supposed to be under water along with half of Fla.
My point was tongue in cheek. What I meant was IF the issues with coral and the ocean are due to climate change (as many seem to suggest - including the very government agencies that are releasing an army of crabs) - how is releasing crabs going to help? With that said - I think your language is a little harsh since - nothing I said was fraudulent - nor do I consider myself 'a fraud'

I re-read my post, below - and actually I'm not sure why you quoted it at all?
MnFish1 said:

Fish con carne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very good reply and why I mentioned the artificial tire reef. As a scuba diver when I see a healthy reef I see more than crabs. I see herbivores. Dead reefs or barren reefs I do not see them.

Regardless it is good they are looking at it but not sure it is as simple as adding a metric ton of crabs...
I remember the tires being dropped in. Of course, nothing would grow on or around them. HUGE failure. I planted grass beds, by hand in Biscayne bay for 2 summers. Loved it. It helped but the biggie issue, water flow and tooooo many dang boats and people doing TONS of damage everyday.

Fish con carne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point was tongue in cheek. What I meant was IF the issues with coral and the ocean are due to climate change (as many seem to suggest - including the very government agencies that are releasing an army of crabs) - how is releasing crabs going to help? With that said - I think your language is a little harsh since - nothing I said was fraudulent - nor do I consider myself 'a fraud'
anyone who utters the term "global warming" is a fraud. There is not 1 single shred of evidence that can stand the light of even basic scrutiny. That being said, I thought you were serious, my bad. Harsh? Yeah, thin skin is not a trait that will serve you well in public forums. That being said, sorry about that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back