Florida Vacation

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... my wife wanted to take a trip. I'm pretty much over travelling, having done way too much from business standpoint over the last 20 years. She, on the other hand, mostly stayed home with the kids... so... Road trip.

We're in Buffalo, MO. Drove, over two days, to Daytona Beach. Spend 5 days there. Drove over to Orlando and did the Universal Studios thing, spent a day in St. Augustine, touring forts and such, a day on a catamaran sailing off shore... awesome time. Hotel right on the beach, out of season, so the price was OK... great time.

Drove from there to Islamorada for a few days. Another hotel... just off the shore, though there aren't really many beaches in the keys... Spent a day snorkeling at Horseshoe beach, which is a rocky bottom area surrounded by mangroves... I Highly recommend it. Excellent wildlife, uncrowded, unspoiled, free... great day. Drove down to Key West, did the mandatory photo ops... Hemmingway's house, the butterfly conservatory, Ft Zachary Taylor, etc. Fun time in the keys.

We're near Springfield, MO, have a daughter that works for Bass Pro Shops.... I couldn't claim Johnny Morris as a friend, but I've met him several times... Anyway, he owns Islamorada fish house in the keys, and has recreated it on the white river, in Branson MO. So... we've been to the Branson location several times, had to stop at the original location. Great food, neat facility, 4' tarpon in the water waiting for you to toss 'em your leftovers

From there to Sarasota, where I am now. Lido key. Awesome beaches... lots of shells. Great restaurants, lots of shopping... First place we planned to stay a day, and my wife made me extend the stay a day :D

Headed on home... this will be our last beach stay, likely stay somewhere in Mississippi tomorrow night on the way back home.

PXL_20210921_215534334.jpg

PXL_20210920_192513021.MP.jpg

PXL_20210918_200723624.jpg

PXL_20210917_215545695.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And did you stop by WWC's mega store in orlando?

Recently made an emergency trip down to largo to visit my gram before she dies. On the way home, made a stop in orlando to the mega store. Even if you don't buy anything, it's a site to be seen.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool...if you were staying a few days more ,I'd tell you to go to Venice and look for shark teeth. I'm planning a similar road trip next spring, Vermont to Florida, mostly van camping, maybe stay with friends down there in a couple of spots, probably lowest we'll drive is Ft Myers and take a ferry to Key West.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back home... Long drive. Gonna hibernate a while.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back