Flow for fish only mangrove biotope

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building a 180x70x40cm 125 gallon (about 6 feet long) tank, It will be a mangrove biotope with a few fish and a 30 gallon sump, would a 5000 litre per hour jebao dc return and 2 jebao mcp gyres be enough flow?

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually put the mangroves at one end of the tank and both gyres at the other and run them to imitate an incoming current
Yup I think I will do that thanks, I'm going to use gray mangrove with their aerial roots to try to recreate a new zealand estuary with some native fish species from round here as well as some tangs, butterflies and monos

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I think I will do that thanks, I'm going to use gray mangrove with their aerial roots to try to recreate a new zealand estuary with some native fish species from round here as well as some tangs, butterflies and monos
That sounds lovely, though I'd just say monos get gigantic, and I probably wouldn't do more than 1 in a tank that size.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if i can keep them in saltwater as babies/juveniles or do they have to be adults
I'm not sure, but I will say I've only ever seen adults for sale, though sounds like your situation is different since you may be collecting yourself

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually put the mangroves at one end of the tank and both gyres at the other and run them to imitate an incoming current
Do you also think I should put another small wavemaker at the opposite end of the tank for more circulation? Also where do you recommend I put my overflow?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if i can keep them in saltwater as babies/juveniles or do they have to be adults
They do fine as babies and juveniles in full strength saltwater:
Do you also think I should put another small wavemaker at the opposite end of the tank for more circulation? Also where do you recommend I put my overflow?
I'm not sure on this one, but I'm happy to give you a bump and see if someone else has some input for you.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lived in Tampa Bay, surrounded by mangroves that thrive for 40+ years, and I've never seen one that lives in a constant water level with constant flow. Even the ones along the intercoastal waterways see water levels varying by a foot or three throughout the day.

They typically see brief periods of high flow, followed by a slack tide at the high and low points. Periodically, storms roll through and kinda flush everything out.

The majority of the root surface area gets to breathe for awhile every day in the wild, and I never see that taken into consideration when people put them in aquariums.

If I were to do this, I'd double the height of the tank so I could put a second/third overflow 8" or so above the first, and purposely overwhelm the lower overflow for part of the day to simulate that tidal ebb & flow.

Short of that, I'd say at least run the sides up enough to tolerate a decent amount of splashing, and aim for a significant range of flow variability throughout
the day.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lived in Tampa Bay, surrounded by mangroves that thrive for 40+ years, and I've never seen one that lives in a constant water level with constant flow. Even the ones along the intercoastal waterways see water levels varying by a foot or three throughout the day.

They typically see brief periods of high flow, followed by a slack tide at the high and low points. Periodically, storms roll through and kinda flush everything out.

The majority of the root surface area gets to breathe for awhile every day in the wild, and I never see that taken into consideration when people put them in aquariums.

If I were to do this, I'd double the height of the tank so I could put a second/third overflow 8" or so above the first, and purposely overwhelm the lower overflow for part of the day to simulate that tidal ebb & flow.

Short of that, I'd say at least run the sides up enough to tolerate a decent amount of splashing, and aim for a significant range of flow variability throughout
the day.
Thanks for the information, yeah im down in nz so I can only use the gray mangrove which have sort of weird aerial roots but I will do that when I come to setting up the tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back