OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I will be on the lookout for a used Maxspect from that series and if I don’t find one by the time I have enough money I’ll get a new one.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I find my Maxspect 130 Gyre is not strong enough in my 48" tank. It's been fine no issues. I would sell the 130 and get two 250's to go with my Mp40 but that would cost a arm and a leg. The Tunze 6095 look like the way to go for me.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank would handle it, wavebox is a great way to get flow in a tank. You still need linear flow pumps, but a wavebox moves more water in/out of every coral than a whole pile of huge pumps.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two mp10s along with a syncra 2.0 in the sump. LPS mainly with Homewrecker at the top. Rockwork isn’t a huge blob of rocks, three separate structures, a lot of flow through area. Mp10s set on reef crest 55 percent max, a lot of flow in the 34 cube.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get a mp10 you need a mp40.
Check out the German made Tunze 6095 wide spread pump. It's sweet, I'm about to buy two.

Tunze are great pumps and can do everything you need but may cost less than a Vortech. They are also well made with great support and warranty. You buy a Tunze for life. Look at all the models and get the biggest controllable pump you can afford. Bigger is better you can always turn them down, if controllable.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a world of instant gratification and many looking for hand outs I am not only happy to see such a young person get involved in this hobby, I am ecstatic to have read this thread. Reasons include sound questions from the OP obtaining opinions along with price comparisons with the most important aspect of willing to save up his own money to purchase something wanted.
Its great to realize things like this in a world that often seems lost.

For power heads in the tank quality / cost wise you can not go wrong with the Gyre 200 series, Tunze, or the MP 10/40. All great pumps that have proven with care/cleaning they will last a long time.
I personally run Gyre 250's in my 210 and have no issues with detritus building up even with massive rock structures impeding flow.
Smaller tanks I have used the Jebao pumps are nice pumps for the money though I found myself replacing them after a year or two at best and sometimes within 6 months.
Saving your money for a while to get something of better build quality that will last longer and provide what your tank needs flow wise is the best route to go, even if it seems like a long time to get what you want just remember Patience is a large part of this hobby ;)
Good luck to you and Happy Reefing
BluewaterLa/ Mike

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 46 gallons and I listed the dimensions in the original post. So if I get one MP10 you guys think I will need 2 850GPH Koralias?
Check out the video on BRS "does it gyre". They test out regular power heads and it might be eye opening in regards to the Koralias..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back