Flow in a 60g cube

MK300

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success with a 60 cube with a center overflow? I have a mixed reef with LPS towards the bottom and SPS closer to the top. I have 2 return nozzles plus a pair of Neptune WAV pumps on the back wall on either side of overflow. I have to dial the WAV pumps all the way down to 15% to keep the LPS happy. I really do not think this is enough flow for the SPS towards the top.
Has anyone had success with this type of setup?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have SPS in the center of my tank with gyres on either side facing inwards and another pair on either side of the overflow. They seem to be doing ok.

sps.jpg

OP
OP
M

MK300

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the actual cube shape is what is giving me issues. Your tank appears to be rectangular? Maybe the gyres would be a better option though?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe move them to the side versus the back wall? How far below the surface? I keep my Mp40s 3 inches under the water line so SPS get strong flow and LPS low to moderate.

OP
OP
M

MK300

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 6” below water line. I will try raising a bit. Do you get any type of vortex at 3”? I was trying to avoid pumps on the side panels but I may need to just bite the bullet! The cube is definitely a challenge!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back