Flow in my new aquarium

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bjarne
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bjarne

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am new to the hobby with my freshly installed aquarium. I read up a lot, but struggle on the flow part.

I am runnings 2x gf-316 gyres on this aquarium and am wondering how to program them. (Image of aquarium attached)

The intake and return of the sump is on the left top side. The intake being furthest left and the return slightly more right.

Any tips?
1000012147.jpg
 
Hey all, I am new to the hobby with my freshly installed aquarium. I read up a lot, but struggle on the flow part.

I am runnings 2x gf-316 gyres on this aquarium and am wondering how to program them. (Image of aquarium attached)

The intake and return of the sump is on the left top side. The intake being furthest left and the return slightly more right.

Any tips?
1000012147.jpg
@Bjarne
I am not familiar with that equipment, however, I can bump your thread.

I see this is your first post on r2r. Welcome to the addiction. I have been hooked 55 years. So that makes me “old school” and maybe a dinasour.

As a marine engineer with fluid mechanics background, I strive to get a vertical loop current established by flowing from left to right at the top of tank and right to left at the bottom. If that is what you meant when you said gyres.
 
Welcome to R2R!
I have two wavemakers placed across the tank from and facing each other These I set for rectified half-wave sine waves, out of phase by 180°. I don't know if the Gyres have this capability or not. This arrangement creates the chaotic "tornado of goodness" (as Than at Tidal Gardens described it) rolling back and forth across my tank. My corals seem to be enjoying this flow
I am new to the hobby myself, but I found this video helpful. I hope you do as well!
 
Last edited:
The Gyre type I have is from Maxspect 😉 I can indeed anti-sync both wavemakers, but my intake and return is on the left corner. I played with this setting before, but then I get a build up of stuff that needs to go in the sump on the top right corner because the return gives the left side more power.

I can fix this by letting the right wavemaker push constantly on max force and the left one producing waves.
But then the corals on the right hand side only get a constant flow...

Maybe I should lower the wavemaker on the right hand side more to the bottom and keep the one on the left at the top? To get a vertical loop going?
However I worry what that would do to an eventual sandbed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new