Flow Indicators

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was watching a youtube video from VCA, and in the background, it looked like they had these little paddle wheels mounted in a tank with their RFG (I'm assuming to demonstrate it's random flow). Did a quick google search, couldn't find anything. I really haven't seen anything that helps people get a visualization of the flow in their tanks. Other than throwing something like AB+ in there to see what it does. Does anyone know of any kind of "flow indicator"? I have a 3D printer, and can do some modeling, and most likely I could replicate what I seen in the video, and possibly even improve on it. Would something like that interest people?

yougo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That you could moove anywhere and act like a wind turbine so you can see direction and speed of flow into the tank. Im surprised i never seen that so far

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That you could moove anywhere and act like a wind turbine so you can see direction and speed of flow into the tank. Im surprised i never seen that so far
I like the idea -- never seen one either.
I've been trying different lengths of dental floss tied to stainless steel straw for assessing flow but it's pretty LAME.

Knifeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching for something like this pendulum device that swings back and forth, found several on YouTube. No places by me have them or can get em. Cant find em on amazon or ebay. Trying to find that logo to search that company.
So many people say just put your hand in the tank in front of the pump to see if its working. SMH. Idiots

Attachments

• 20230614_173619.mp4
    22 MB
  • Screenshot_20230614_182803_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230614_182803_Gallery.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 20

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching for something like this pendulum device that swings back and forth, found several on YouTube. No places by me have them or can get em. Cant find em on amazon or ebay. Trying to find that logo to search that company.
So many people say just put your hand in the tank in front of the pump to see if its working. SMH. Idiots
If you're talking about the nori clip, just looks like a normal one, like this:

Nori Clip

I don't really see how that's too useful for gauging flow other than direction though.

Knifeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about the nori clip, just looks like a normal one, like this:

Nori Clip

I don't really see how that's too useful for gauging flow other than direction though.
Lol ... that's all they are? Holy cow what an idiot I am. I've seen them moving back and forth so fluidly, some faster than others, I thought it was showing how strong the current is. Most times there's no food attached, but in the last clip it did have nori attached. That's freakin crazy. I have a clip, but it doesn't swing at all. It stays exactly how I adjust it.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was watching a youtube video from VCA, and in the background, it looked like they had these little paddle wheels mounted in a tank with their RFG (I'm assuming to demonstrate it's random flow). Did a quick google search, couldn't find anything. I really haven't seen anything that helps people get a visualization of the flow in their tanks. Other than throwing something like AB+ in there to see what it does. Does anyone know of any kind of "flow indicator"? I have a 3D printer, and can do some modeling, and most likely I could replicate what I seen in the video, and possibly even improve on it. Would something like that interest people?
Search for portable water flow meter/indicator. Used for river/stream/environmental water monitoring. Usually consist of a long stick with a submersible vane. Usually listed on environmental monitoring equipment companies, so they can be spendy, few hundred into thousands.

OP
OP
immo

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried to model anything yet, work has gotten in the way. But I plan to soon enough, when I do, I'll post here and let everyone know.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 110 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 122 47.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.4%
Back