Flow issue

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have 1 pump running on a 46 gallon tank. It is opposite side of the filter but I know the flow can be tricky on the tanks that are tall and skinny. The measurements are 36 inches long, by 24 inches tall and 12.5 inches wide. There is no sand movement, and the coral barely seems to move much in the flow compared to our other tank. If I add the fluval cp4 to the tank on the other side with the filter, do you think it is overkill on the tank? Or should I just have one running? The one I current have fits a 25 to 50 gallon tank. It worked great on our other tank but not so much on this one
-ashley

IMG_0106.jpeg

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always good to have pumps at opposite sides for more random flow. I do not if the Fluval allows you to increase or decrease the speed of the pump which I believe is important in helping dial in your flow, especially with more than one pump.

RandyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short of investing in wave-making pumps, you should try placing two pumps on opposite ends point close to each other so their joint flow causes some turbulence. While not totally non-liner, this is a good way avoid the strong linear flows that single pumps tend to create. That also helps to stir up the water a bit more, which can help nutrients stay suspended in the water column longer so fish or corals may be able to consume more before it settles to the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short of investing in wave-making pumps, you should try placing two pumps on opposite ends point close to each other so their joint flow causes some turbulence. While not totally non-liner, this is a good way avoid the strong linear flows that single pumps tend to create. That also helps to stir up the water a bit more, which can help nutrients stay suspended in the water column longer so fish or corals may be able to consume more before it settles to the bottom of the tank.
About where should I put them, and what angle should I have them at?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always better to have at least 2 powerheads, it the only way to create a random flow in the tank. Only one powerhead creates a one-way flow which corals don't like, and its also not pleasing to the eye to see everything pull to one side. Even my 15 gallon tank has 2 powerheads.

Maybe even get a couple more powerheads, I notice the water surface is very flat, thats not good good, you should have one powerhead pointed at the water surface to create agitation and help put oxygen in the water.

What kind of powerhead is it? It looks like the cheap amazon powerheads, nothing wrong with them, but they need to be cleaned very often (at least weekly), they quickly lose power when they get slimy.

Finally, I would say the tank needs more rock. Normal suggestions is a pound per gallon. Rocks are the biofilter of the tank, and also provide hiding spots to fishes and inverts and micro organisms.

OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always better to have at least 2 powerheads, it the only way to create a random flow in the tank. Only one powerhead creates a one-way flow which corals don't like, and its also not pleasing to the eye to see everything pull to one side. Even my 15 gallon tank has 2 powerheads.

Maybe even get a couple more powerheads, I notice the water surface is very flat, thats not good good, you should have one powerhead pointed at the water surface to create agitation and help put oxygen in the water.

What kind of powerhead is it? It looks like the cheap amazon powerheads, nothing wrong with them, but they need to be cleaned very often (at least weekly), they quickly lose power when they get slimy.

Finally, I would say the tank needs more rock. Normal suggestions is a pound per gallon. Rocks are the biofilter of the tank, and also provide hiding spots to fishes and inverts and micro organisms.
So I should have one power head pointed up, and then the other one should just be facing straight? I’m not sure what this power head is, I thought it was a fluval but I don’t think it is. And I am currently in the process of getting more rock, just a newer tank so I’m trying to slowly get it started. Currently all of the rocks we have in there are huge excluding the one with the coral on it.
-ashley

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back