Flow issues in IM 15G AIO

weavertank

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2024
Messages
26
Reaction score
18
Location
Panama City
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow issues in new tank with minimum stock.
I have finally set up the tank but I am really struggling with flow in this cube. I previously had a regular 29 where I positioned power heads at either corner and they cross streamed for a gentle random flow.
Using the stock pump and the duck shaped return wasn’t working. No matter where I aimed it,limited choice, it sucks right up the middle blowing too hard there and not enough everywhere else.
Purchased a VCA and a mighty jet desktop and at the lowest setting getting tons of flow but too much…fish hiding. Now sweeping around violently on left side of tank. Switched back to the stock pump with the VCA and it seems no different from the original set up..too much flow in the niddle.
Tried a wavemaker on pulse,also too strong.
Going to try a ball valve to reduce the flow of the mighty jet some but I really am not sure how to get appropriate flow in a cube. I am looking for gentle movement across the tank without deadspots or crazywater tornadoes in other spots.
Any advice appreciated.
 
The ball valve worked really well,at least for now. When corals finally grow in I will have ample opportunity to dial in the flow with the ball valve or the addition of a small wavemaker.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new