IM 15g Mixed Reef - Help with Flow

SheldonC

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
95
Reaction score
35
Location
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't my first nano, but it's the first one where I've used flow beyond the stock return pump. I currently have two Nero 3s pointed directly at each other with random flow settings to "clash" and cause turbulence in the middle.

Is this amount of flow overkill for a mixed reef? I have things dialed pretty low but it seems like a lot for a simple nano tank :)
 
You could very well get away with one. Did you swap out the stock return pump?

On my IM I used one Hygger Nano Wave Maker 1600 gph and that was more than enough. Two Nero 3 2000 gph does seem like an over kill.

Try to create a circle directional flow rather than opposing.

🪸
 
Two is definitely too much unless you’re planning on an SPS-dominated reef
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new