Flow jam...

  • Thread starter Thread starter justjes45
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 24, 2015
Messages
1,156
Reaction score
543
What state or country do you live in
Vermont
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tiny magnetic flow fan on the side of my 30 gallon Nano tank.
It had unfortunately sucked in a nudebranch and a "sea hare" so I was told to put pantyhose sock over the vents.
This has worked excellently, and the tiny starfish and the hermit crabs seem to crawl over it now without a problem.
The problem now however is that I do not seem to get as good of a flow, and I'm worried about it burning out the pump prematurely.
Any advise?
b698b4a94d31b56f5f3663d6327d3fa3.jpg
 
the smaller mesh diameter will clog fast, I'm sure you have seen this happen already and the only real way to combat it is to clean it more often... the foam powerhead socks clog a bit less so will last longer but you will still have to clean them to maximize flow.
 
Wow – I feel like a dork. Cleaning it never occurred to me I just thought the critters would do it. And a foam powerhead sock was never mentioned I will look into that! Thank you
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new