Flow, mixed reef, adding a power head

  • Thread starter Thread starter tjbrownie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tjbrownie

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2022
Messages
164
Reaction score
59
Location
Riverton
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 24 gal cube tank and I’m wanting to add a second power head to get a more broad flow in my tank and less hot spots but getting more flow to my sps at the top of my mixed reef. I’m currently running one nero 5 at 1,200gph. And the portion of my tank further from my power head is getting more flow so I’m trying to equalize and get the flow more random and broad. I’m just trying to figure out what placement of the two powerhead would get me the better fit flow distribution. Currently I have the one power head on the right side of the tank. I want to add the second one and lower the power on both to maintain the current level of flow but disperse it more evenly into the tank. What do y’all think?

IMG_4482.jpeg
 
So I have a 24 gal cube tank and I’m wanting to add a second power head to get a more broad flow in my tank and less hot spots but getting more flow to my sps at the top of my mixed reef. I’m currently running one nero 5 at 1,200gph. And the portion of my tank further from my power head is getting more flow so I’m trying to equalize and get the flow more random and broad. I’m just trying to figure out what placement of the two powerhead would get me the better fit flow distribution. Currently I have the one power head on the right side of the tank. I want to add the second one and lower the power on both to maintain the current level of flow but disperse it more evenly into the tank. What do y’all think?
First of all those coral look decently healthy atleast without lights on as much as I can tell. So that one powerhead may be enough.

If something is working why change it?

But may left side lower? like I said nero 5 in that size tank plus return flow might be good enough Others can chime in as well.
 
First of all those coral look decently healthy atleast without lights on as much as I can tell. So that one powerhead may be enough.

If something is working why change it?

But may left side lower? like I said nero 5 in that size tank plus return flow might be good enough Others can chime in as well.
Fair enough ahah, guess I’m probably thinking too much into it.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new