Flow options for 40 breeder SPS: Gyres vs Wavemakers

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new SPS tank and am debating which pumps to go with. Here are the options I'm considering:
1x Maxspect XF350 Gyre
2x Maxspect XF330 Gyres
1x VorTech MP40 w/possibly another smaller powerhead somewhere if needed

Which of these options would you go with and why? 2x 330's would be the most tunable, but would also be the most clutter in the tank.

Would a single MP40 be able to compete with a single XF350? I like how the MP40 would be so easy to clean. Get a spare head and swap them out with no wires...

Decisions decisions. Any first hand experiences? Anybody tried both and have a clear preference?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new SPS tank and am debating which pumps to go with. Here are the options I'm considering:
1x Maxspect XF350 Gyre
2x Maxspect XF330 Gyres
1x VorTech MP40 w/possibly another smaller powerhead somewhere if needed

Which of these options would you go with and why? 2x 330's would be the most tunable, but would also be the most clutter in the tank.

Would a single MP40 be able to compete with a single XF350? I like how the MP40 would be so easy to clean. Get a spare head and swap them out with no wires...

Decisions decisions. Any first hand experiences? Anybody tried both and have a clear preference?
I would say it depends on your scape and your coral placement planning! :) It's not just about what equipment you use but what kind of flow you're looking for and where you want it to go! :)

Gyres are great for some things, MP40's are fantastic for others. Chances are that you need some direct flow here/there etc.

Give is some pictures of your tank?

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give is some pictures of your tank?
This is my aquascape. The board is the same size as the 40b footprint. I'm going low-profile bare-bottom (black starboard) to give the sps room to grow. Taller stuff in the back with sticks and tabling corals in the front. This will be SPS exclusively, so high amounts of chaotic flow is what I'm after.
20230921_103957.jpg
20230921_104000.jpg
20230921_104009.jpg
20230921_104004.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one sexy looking scape, well done!! I'd go with two gyres on that one, one each end of the tank and add additional flow if and when required. Be prepared to adjust though :)

Can't wait to see this one wet mate!

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one sexy looking scape, well done!! I'd go with two gyres on that one, one each end of the tank and add additional flow if and when required. Be prepared to adjust though :)

Can't wait to see this one wet mate!
Thanks! I'm 95% satisfied with it. I might make a few minor tweaks, but nothing that would really alter the overall composition. Hoping to have this thing cycling by the 1st of October!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back