Flow patterns on your mp40’s

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just curious to know and see the different flow patterns people use with the mp40’s and placement. My tank is 5 foot wide and I don’t believe I’m getting enough flow through my tank with 4 mp40’s. Now I see people tanks with 1 or 2 in a 6foot long tank with great flow. My thinking is I shouldn’t see anything settling on my sandbed and st the least see the sand blowing gently on the top layer. I have mine set up on opposite sides of each other. One slightly higher than the other. Maybe I don’t have them low enough. Just trying to find a happy medium
1A01B44E-A4E8-4DD1-9801-9C6EF5D1BFE0.png

Last edited:

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a long winded rant I made last year when I bought a new powerhead and actually decreased my flow due to poor placement.

I think you have enough power heads. Without seeing a picture of your tank I can’t say for sure, but you make need to open up your rock work and adjust how the pumps are placed so that they are working together instead of against each other.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Powerheads placed on each end somewhat facing each other. The one on left is 4.5 inches below water line. The one on the right is 8 inches below water line. It’s the same way on other side of tank. You can see from both sides. My tank is a room divider

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a room divider as well. Unfortunately, I think those two huge overflows are really messing up your potential to get water moving by blocking the sides - I think that is the difference you are seeing between your tank and others. To compare to your picture, I have one in the front right position and one in the back left position, so when viewing from either side there is a pump on the right blowing across the front viewing pane. But I don’t have those overflows, so water can more freely move from one side of the tank to the other at the ends.

Still, I would try turning off two pumps in opposite corners, and leave the other two in the remaining corners on, and see how that goes. Run a flow pattern that allows the pumps to run at high power for extended periods, not short pulses.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
47FEF7F4-9C82-4F4B-8FDB-1D1D2FA695F9.png
you make need to open up your rock work and adjust how the pumps are placed so that they are working together instead of against each other.

I agree with that statement. My tank is almost 6 feet long by 26 inches wide and I have two MP 40s on one end working together. It too is a room divider. My rock work is centered in the tank so that the flow can be directed along the sides of the glass and rocks. I also placed them on the same and as my return, ( no other choice ) that way I have all three working together. I have a Gonnipora at the far end of the tank and the flow is enough to really whip the polyps around. Notice I run nutrient transport mode for 1 hour in the morning before the lights come on. It really helps kick up all the detritus. :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back