Flow pump suggestion for a 5gal?

VisibleClownage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of research and i've been reccomended a small 80gph powerhead for my 5 gallon tank, which combined with my return pump would make 30 turnovers per hour.

I've also seen people using koralia 240 and other pumps above 200gph.

So should i get a high gph powerhead or should i stick to a small one? I am looking to buy this Aquael reef circulator at 260gph. I'm really afraid that when i set it up, the fish that i will put in will be thrown around like a sheet of paper in the wind.

(Tank still cycling, no plans to keep SPS corals)

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of research and i've been reccomended a small 80gph powerhead for my 5 gallon tank, which combined with my return pump would make 30 turnovers per hour.

I've also seen people using koralia 240 and other pumps above 200gph.

So should i get a high gph powerhead or should i stick to a small one? I am looking to buy this Aquael reef circulator at 260gph. I'm really afraid that when i set it up, the fish that i will put in will be thrown around like a sheet of paper in the wind.

(Tank still cycling, no plans to keep SPS corals)
Are you using a hang on back filter? If so, the flow from that alone is probably sufficient in a tank that size. Be careful with your fish selection. There are very few options for a 5 gal.

OP
OP
VisibleClownage

VisibleClownage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a hang on back filter? If so, the flow from that alone is probably sufficient in a tank that size. Be careful with your fish selection. There are very few options for a 5 gal.
No it's not HOB, it's a return pump and yes, i know i can't keep many types of fish

Back