Flow question for new tank

sirburke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I recently started a new tank (getting back into the hobby after a very long absence) and I am having a bit of a flow issue. The tank is a 55 gallon that came pre drilled with the xaqua in and out which aligns with the sump from eshopps at 600 gal/hr. I have a Coral Box 6000 running at 20% and the return is a bit less than 4 feet up.

if I slow the return, which I could do with the wave pump compensating the sump gets higher than it is supposed to and I believe I would need to add water to the system since the drain starts to gurgle.

At 20% I very slowly lose a little ground until the a kicks in and refills the return chamber.

with that background I have two issues...

The slow loss at 20% in the return chamber and a waterfall sound in the overflow which makes me think I should add more water to the system and boost the speed of the return pump to create a better siphon.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
S

sirburke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to adjust the height of your drain.
do you mean. In the sump or the tank. I can cut the shot down spout into the sump and make that shorter but the drain itself is fixed in place on the back wall of the tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.0%
Back