Flow Visualization - Give us your ideas!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been playing around with ways to show the unique flow pattern the Random Flow Generator Nozzle is capable of producing.

Because it works through fluid dynamics and has no moving parts, it’s been a bit of a challenge because anything you put in the water such as micro beads, tends to change the way the water moves through the nozzle.

We’ve tried die, but that ends up just making a big mess by the time the die would reveal the flow pattern it’s already mixed.

We’ve always fallen back to micro bubble because that does not seem to affect the function of the nozzle and serves as a good visual of what the RFG nozzle is acutely doing.

Then the other day I came across these fake silicone anemones and though this might work.

Here’s the result – I think it really shows how the RFG transforms the flow from a laminar to a random pattern almost instantly.

What are your thoughts? And if you have any ideas on how to visualize the flow, please share them.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been playing around with ways to show the unique flow pattern the Random Flow Generator Nozzle is capable of producing.

Because it works through fluid dynamics and has no moving parts, it’s been a bit of a challenge because anything you put in the water such as micro beads, tends to change the way the water moves through the nozzle.

We’ve tried die, but that ends up just making a big mess by the time the die would reveal the flow pattern it’s already mixed.

We’ve always fallen back to micro bubble because that does not seem to affect the function of the nozzle and serves as a good visual of what the RFG nozzle is acutely doing.

Then the other day I came across these fake silicone anemones and though this might work.

Here’s the result – I think it really shows how the RFG transforms the flow from a laminar to a random pattern almost instantly.

What are your thoughts? And if you have any ideas on how to visualize the flow, please share them.

That is a very cool idea. I am setting up my 45 gallon tank soon and wanted to make a video demonstrating the flow of the RFGs, my returns and a gyre. I have also been thinking about the best way to accomplish this. Bubbles work to some degree, but I also considered tying some fishing bobbers to rubble rock with fishing line at different heights throughout the aquarium. These anemones you used seemed to work very well and generally simulate what a coral would experience. Great job!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the anemones. Or why not use real corals like torches?
We would use real coral, but we generally don't keep the demo tanks in any sort of shape to keep real animals.

Were playing around with a grid of small props or propellers (for lack of a better description) that can show the effect of the flow as it changes directions. Showing the true effect the nozzle has on the flow, is a real challenge.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using your return nozzles, I know it will make a mess but try flake food I bet if you ran some through a pump into the nozzle I bet it would show well. I have sort of had it happen but just flake food on the top of the water. I think these nozzles work pretty good I listed them in my build thread

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using your return nozzles, I know it will make a mess but try flake food I bet if you ran some through a pump into the nozzle I bet it would show well. I have sort of had it happen but just flake food on the top of the water. I think these nozzles work pretty good I listed them in my build thread
not a bad idea - maybe just be the next water swap out in the Demo tanks I can and capture a video of that

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out our latest flow visualization video. Showing flow through water can be tough - especially Random Flow. So, we designed, and 3D printed a bunch of fans, mounted them to egg create and let the RFG Nozzle do the rest.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out our latest flow visualization video. Showing flow through water can be tough - especially Random Flow. So, we designed, and 3D printed a bunch of fans, mounted them to egg create and let the RFG Nozzle do the rest.

Very clever! I am loving my dual RFG nozzles for sure. In my 45 AIO (30 gallon display) they have a huge impact throughout the entire tank.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

very good Idea I like mine too

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back