flow

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 30xh seahorse tank, I am wondering about flow for the tank.
I have a small sump setup with a scwd on the return these will move water in the top half of the tank but what about flow in the bottom half

I am using a marineland overflow so the prefilter part should keep the ponys from ending up in there. but if I cant have a powerhead how do I get flow in the bottom of the tank?

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm going to assume you have some way to direct flow at your input. If not make it so you can. If it is not split that may be a good option too. Then you make small changes to the directions (left/right.. up/down) until you are getting the most motion everywhere you can manage. A good way to know is to make these changes during or just before feed time and watch the flow of food. You may want to extend one of the split inputs to the bottom area of the tank and then make adjustments of its nozzle.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The deflector will run a pattern in the tank, this will get water moving in the lower areas, just not as high of flow.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My seahorse tank is pretty tall as well. I have open ended airline tubing that makes big bubbles to provide flow in the bottom portion of the tank. The seahorses can actually be seen playing in the bubbles.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back