flow

reefwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 210 wondering what i can use to get better flow in tank have MP40 on one end and icecap gyre on other and 4 return in each cornor going across top of water do these need to be pointing down in water instead of on top

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 210 wondering what i can use to get better flow in tank have MP40 on one end and icecap gyre on other and 4 return in each cornor going across top of water do these need to be pointing down in water instead of on top
What model gyre do you have and what is the gph of your return pump? And what mode do you have the MP40 and Icecap in? Generally you want the returns near the top in the event your return pump fails or the power goes out it'll start draining back and suck air instead of pulling tank water into the sump and overflowing :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely have more then enough, at 20 times turnover you're looking at about 4200 gallons per hour which one MP40 can handle, at 50 times turnover (sps dominant) you're at 10,500, which including your return pump and both pumps turned on high your'e just shy of. I think you should be good. Again just have the returns slightly below the water line in the event of a power failure or a pump failure you won't back siphon all your water into the sump and flood your room :)

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You could always add an additional powerhead to get to the area you need. I find the Sicce Xtreme pumps to be excellent. The 2500 gph or 3000 gph should be sufficient. They're also the smallest pumps around and have a self cleaning impeller.

Or you could add Random Flow Generators on your output nozzles instead of the flare nozzles that it came with. There's no moving parts and from what others have said, work great. I plan on using 4 on my 180.

Back