Flower nems breeding?

DakotahSteel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8354.jpeg
I have probably a dozen different flower nems in my tank and they’re beyond awesome! I have noticed I have this one and one other that the mouths are starting to look like this… someone had said they might be breeding but I can’t find anything confirming this… any ideas?

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8354.jpeg
I have probably a dozen different flower nems in my tank and they’re beyond awesome! I have noticed I have this one and one other that the mouths are starting to look like this… someone had said they might be breeding but I can’t find anything confirming this… any ideas?
I believe that is more of a hunger response.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they spawn, you’ll see the males stand up and make a cup shape, kind of like a trumpet. They’ll release love juice in the water every few minutes for about 30 min to an hour.

IMG_7518.jpeg

Witnessing a spawn is the only way to identify the males.

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the males spawn it is pretty obvious. They will become erect. Their bodies will extend an obvious amount. They will resemble an open patio umbrella. Then they will expel their gametes into the water column. Enough of them will turn the water cloudy.
The females on the other hand I have not noticed any visible signs of giving birth. I the one time I saw this happening. The babies were just tumbling out of the mouths. Mouth was slightly open and you could see different colored babies kinda slowly just tumbling out and the water flow pushing them off the mothers disc. Hope this helps.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the males spawn it is pretty obvious. They will become erect. Their bodies will extend an obvious amount. They will resemble an open patio umbrella. Then they will expel their gametes into the water column. Enough of them will turn the water cloudy.
The females on the other hand I have not noticed any visible signs of giving birth. I the one time I saw this happening. The babies were just tumbling out of the mouths. Mouth was slightly open and you could see different colored babies kinda slowly just tumbling out and the water flow pushing them off the mothers disc. Hope this helps.

Yup! Very rarely have I ever seen females giving birth. But you can usually find babies hiding underneath of the skirts of suspected females

IMG_6570.jpeg

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! Very rarely have I ever seen females giving birth. But you can usually find babies hiding underneath of the skirts of suspected females

IMG_6570.jpeg
I was very fortunate to see it. I could help myself to start collecting them. I put them in a Taco Bell nacho cheese container. Lol.
IMG_1893.jpeg
IMG_1894.jpeg
IMG_1892.jpeg

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very fortunate to see it. I could help myself to start collecting them. I put them in a Taco Bell nacho cheese container. Lol.
IMG_1893.jpeg
IMG_1894.jpeg
IMG_1892.jpeg

That’s one way to ensure high survival rates! I’ve only seen females giving birth 2 or 3 times versus the dozens and dozens of male spawns I’ve seen over the years.

I have a bare bottom nowadays, so I do my best to collect babies safely and put them in pvc caps for a while!

That’s a good looking bunch!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back