Flower pot coral experts , is this normal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FugeTown
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

FugeTown

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2016
Messages
871
Reaction score
845
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had this flowerpot coral thriving in my tank for a good month and a half and it has been closing lately , I have been messing with my salinity a bit first I lowered it and now I brought it back up this morning a little from 1.023 1.025 when I got home it looked like this

IMG_2218.JPG

Have any of you flower pot heads seen this activity before because I'm telling you it was perfectly healthy a couple days ago. My other corals are looking nice and parameters are good too I've checked them all .
 
Feed the tank some small particle foods like Reef roids , I'm not sure if it'll feed when it's closed up but if it opens up definitely feed the tank
 
Here's a pic of it Last week , looks pretty healthy and I've been feeding it brine shrimp juice which it shows a feeding response when I feed it. Did yours look unhealthy for a while before it died or did it happen instantly? And did it look like mine does in the last pic?

IMG_2220.jpg
 
Feed the tank some small particle foods like Reef roids , I'm not sure if it'll feed when it's closed up but if it opens up definitely feed the tank

I feed my tank quite often but just there some more food in there, I did just clean my powerheads yesterday perhaps the water flow is irritating it since it's a little stronger now they are clean?
 
Do you feed a very small particle food?
 
Do you feed a very small particle food?
I feed it brine shrimp juice it gets really fat and seems to like it when I feed it that, doesn't close up either seems like it's eating but never particle food I used to have a powder form food now I just have pellets small coral pellets
 
+1 for reef roids. Also, when I had a large softball sized green goniopora it would literally swell up like a balloon, yours looks very similar in that way.
Yea that's exactly what it looks like , each branch or whatever they are called look inflated. How long would yours do that for?
 
Try and get some reef roids or better still some gonipower..... I think thats what it's called
I just made some particle food , I crushed my reef frenzy pellets with two spoons into a powder ( I'm a mad scientist) the powder is in a frag shipping container with saltwater turning into a liquid food, I'll get reef Roids but I'm sure this will be better than nothing. I tried sprinkling some over the top of the closed Flower pot coral and the two clownfish instead of hosting were trying to steal from the coral lol I got some greedy clownfish.
 
It would get like that before the lights went out and by morning it would be fine. I don't have any old pics because it was years ago but I posted pics of it back on 3reef. I wouldn't bother trying to feed it while it's swollen. You can also make a container to kinda cover the goniopora to keep the food around it, I'm sure there's a diy thread somewhere about that.
 
It would get like that before the lights went out and by morning it would be fine. I don't have any old pics because it was years ago but I posted pics of it back on 3reef. I wouldn't bother trying to feed it while it's swollen. You can also make a container to kinda cover the goniopora to keep the food around it, I'm sure there's a diy thread somewhere about that.

Just shut off the powerheads and squirted some crushed reef frenzy diluted in saltwater and seems to like it from what I see

IMG_2223.JPG
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new