Flower pot coral experts , is this normal?

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if the clown is treating it like a nem? I've had them literally pull of tentacles.
He was try to steal the food from the coral , and I fed the stupid thing before I fed the coral , the clown has never showed interest in the flower pot coral until tonight. He also steals food when I try to feed the other corals too it's super annoying, probably a female mating or something.

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed the clownfish? I've never experienced clownfish stealing food bit I feed heavy. That's strange man but it's s fish, they can do strange things.
Would feeding 2 clownfish a half a frozen cube a day good enough? I know usually a whole cube twice a day feeds a stocked tank but I have only two clownfish.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say feed more as long as your tank can handle it. As long as they eat what you feed I don't see the harm in feeding more. My mom's nano with 2 clowns get fed 3 times a day between pellets, LRS reef frenzy and fish eggs. That's a basic system too, no skimmer.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m told that feeding is for growth and not for health.

I’m having the same problem as you. I’m raising my salinity from 1.023 to 1.025 by replacing the RO in my ATO with SW. Flower Pot is the only one that seems unhealthy. All other corals and fish are doing well.

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys my clownfish wouldn't leave the flower pot alone picking and picking at it all day I even fed my clown way more than I should and he still pecked at it so I covered it in the sandbed and the flower pot came back. It looks unhappy under that bottle but I'm happy it's alive. I also have som reef roids on the way to feed him.

IMG_2231.JPG

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flower Pot Coral is starting to extend again. I guess it was readjusting to the change in salinity.
I just fed it some crushed to powder coral frenzy mixed in tank water till it was a fine particle consistency and the flower coral closed just the head part and kind of wrapped around itself and opened up again definitely looked like it was eating :)

IMG_2233.JPG

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you make the roids up ...little cup or whatever you use ...leave it to sit for 10 mins before feeding ;Bookworm

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you make the roids up ...little cup or whatever you use ...leave it to sit for 10 mins before feeding ;Bookworm

I used a 6 oz frag shipping container with tank water and just happened to let it soak for ten minutes not being aware of it but I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future. Thanks for the pointer.

Joseph Wright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made some particle food , I crushed my reef frenzy pellets with two spoons into a powder ( I'm a mad scientist) the powder is in a frag shipping container with saltwater turning into a liquid food, I'll get reef Roids but I'm sure this will be better than nothing. I tried sprinkling some over the top of the closed Flower pot coral and the two clownfish instead of hosting were trying to steal from the coral lol I got some greedy clownfish.
I use a 2 liter soda bottle, cut down to be just big enough to fit over the polyps when they are fully extended. Turn off the pumps and drill a hole big enough for the end of a turkey baster to squirt it in there. I have learned the hard way to only use tank water ie same temp,ph, Sal, etc make up the food in a one liter clear seltzer bottle, i even mix a litttle phyto in and let it set over night to stabilize temps and such. I nursed a half dead baseball sized green goniapora back and its now kinds the centerpiece of the tank because it’s gotten so large. It’s the only goniapora I’ve ever had last longer than 18 months. (The wife told me no more if this one dies lol). Now that it’s in good health and growing I only feed every other day about 5 ml. But the fish and the shrimp try to steal away to the point where I have to distract the cleaner shrimp with my other hand, he loves to climb on my hand and pick at my fingernails. I’ll try to get wife to film it and I’ll post. Good luck! Happy reefing!

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome story happy to hear you saved it especially after the wife's last goniopora threat lol So you feed yours every other day didn't know you had to feed them that often . I have the full pack of reef roids so mine will be eating good. When I fed it yesterday I dropped a frozen fish food cube in to distract the fish from what I was doing cause my clownfish are little punks when I try to feed my corals trying to steal the food. I hope mine releases one of those pea sized frags when it reproduces (if it does) , that must be really awesome.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your success here! I've kept many goni's and aleve's for years, over 10. They are sensitive to water changes with salinity and alk. Medium/low light and flow. Goniopower food and other very small particle foods, oyster eggs, etc are good for them. Do the clowns have a BTA/other they host in? If yes, is your flowerpot close to it or their home? Usually clowns will not wander too far from their host but, distraction does work:0)

Very nice tank! Job well done!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back