Flowering Algae

Ken101Ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind if I borrow this pic to shop around? I’m trying my hand at social media, bothering some marine botanists’ accounts to see if they can help identify.
Please, use it all you want. I have had zero luck in my research of this issue. I would like to know what it is and how it eliminate it. It is currently covering all my live rock that is exposed to my lights, though it does not grow on the shaded side of the rock. Thanks for asking and please keep us updated on your efforts.

Ken101Ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190210_204008.jpg
Richard, here is another picture of this algae. I only have a camera phone so this is the best I can do.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant knocked that stuff right out for me.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Referring to the algae that looks like mermaids cup . Covered every bit of substrate and lr...almost made me tear the tank down...thank god vibrant worked! No herbivores touched it!

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Referring to the algae that looks like mermaids cup . Covered every bit of substrate and lr...almost made me tear the tank down...thank god vibrant worked! No herbivores touched it!
how aggressively did you dose it?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you have stronger glasses than me???

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does Vibrant affect inverts? I have a couple of urchins and a conch my wife would ticked if I killed. I talked her into spending a good chunk of the tax return on the tank, and I went over budget so I'd rather not tick her off anymore ;)

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only kills algae if you have a fuge you might want to take out your macro. But didnt bother my snails clams feather dusters...etc.

Ken101Ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to dose twice a week like reef lover did. This algae is growing everywhere in my tank, even on my mag float glass cleaner. I've got nothing to lose at this point as I was seriously considering breaking down the tank and starting over.

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to dose twice a week like reef lover did. This algae is growing everywhere in my tank, even on my mag float glass cleaner. I've got nothing to lose at this point as I was seriously considering breaking down the tank and starting over.
So, the vibrant is a bacteria culture. Is it attacking the algae directly, or out-competing for nutrients (which I assume are Phosphates and Nitrites/Nitrates)? What are you using to export waste between doses?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not techy enough to explain how the bacteria works. I do know i was at my wits end with this stuff only found one other reference to it online and that reefer had no luck as well. And vibrant was my savior! Good luck and keep us posted

Ken101Ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in reef lover camp, can't explain on a biological level what is happening during the vibrant dosing. I'm a desperate guy taking any recommendation to rid this issue from my tank. I've never had problems with excessive NO3 and PO4 levels as I have a low bio-load. I spot feed the few coral I have twice a week and rely on the Chaeto to consume the extra nutrients in the tank. I plan on reinstalling filter socks and changing them out every three days and stick with the weekly 10% water changes. I'm going to dose Vibrant, wait three days, dose Vibrant again, wait three days and preform a water change, then dose Vibrant the following day.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back