Neomeris

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had some neomeris annulata growing again so I planned to pull some with my water change. This is what I saw when I got on a ladder:(

IMG_2555.JPG

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe spot treat with hydrogen peroxide? FWIW I've never dealt with it.

S&SReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just ID'd something on one of my tanks. I pluck it regularly but I doubt thats ideal.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed all the fish. I was standing ready to bleach and got nervous so I put up another thread about the tank problems I am having.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One guy posted that his Mg was at 700, and he foolishly raised it to 1400 all at one time. The next morning all his neomeris was dead. He used Tech M. So he wasn't sure if it was the Mg or the Tech M impurity that kill bryopsis.

His post didn't mention what else he killed with this massive Mg jump. Not sure if he had nothing else in the tank or the jump did not hurt the fish/corals. I find the later hard to believe. Dose at your own risk.

Another thing to consider is that this plant has a calcium sub structure. Keep Alk and Ca at NSW levels. Some people have fixed their water parameters and had this die naturally after a couple of months when it could no longer compete for nutrients.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for being dense, but what's the issue? Is it hurting anything?

We had it in one large display, but tangs would eat it all the time so there were never more than a few stalks around. I thought it was awesome because it was so different looking.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for being dense, but what's the issue? Is it hurting anything?

We had it in one large display, but tangs would eat it all the time so there were never more than a few stalks around. I thought it was awesome because it was so different looking.
Thank you for the reply. It has been invasive in my tank. My tangs have never touched it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double play then....ouch.

Does it seem to overgrow anything and everything or are there some things that don't seem bothered?

Will have to do some reading on this stuff.... :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On initial glance, it sounds like fish do eat it....although there are some anti-browsing chemicals involved.

Interesting results with a parrot fish and a tang here:
http://www.jstor.org/stable/24856120
"Effects of secondary metabolites and CaCO 3on feeding by surgeonfishes and parrotfishes: within-plant comparisons"

(JSTOR account is free....unlimited free reading of up to 3 or 4 articles at a time.)

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! what on earth are you reading to find this stuff? I have not found much info in these scholarly articles that I can apply to aquarium keeping, atleast to my understanding. I read that last article just shaking my head...lol. Thank you for your help. I am heart broken to share that my fish all died. Beloved 10-11 year old perculas and 7-8 year old queen angel. The hospital tank was just very small, and atleast one fish was ill and stressed to start with. They looked good then 36 hours later they were all dead.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
large algae correction threads running years classifies neomeris as the #1 invader in reefing one doesn't want. above invasive dinos :)

above all algae one could catch, not one nubbin of neo should be foisted upon ones worst enemy.

not that opinions dont range on its beauty (prettier than bryopsis agreed) and on the marine algae id database its listed as "moderately easy to keep" heh===> but uniquely in algae correction threads where its unwanted

nobody cures it. Im aware there are one off threads saying it went away due to X

but in the threads where any cure method was repeated into someone else's tank, not one consistent approach exists for them. They beat the rasping method, strongest algae removing technique around. You can scrape an inch up under neo as it winds into rockword, more pops up.

anyone that gets a cure gets lucky, its non repeatable so far. threads w show different when the time comes, its a mighty humbler for algae fighters.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back