Flowrate through DI resin

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I replace the DI resin this time I want to start airing out the RO water before pumping it through the DI stage to see if I can get it to last longer. I'm guess it doesn't matter what pump I use since it seems the max flowrate through 1/4" RO tubing is around 30gph. Does this sound correct?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what matters is how much pressure the pump produces inside the plastic pipe.

I don’t think that I have ever seen a spec for contact time in the DI canister or the pressure now that you’ve brought it up?

You have opened up the can of ideas and follow up questions that might be answered by @Buckeye Hydro ?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u elaborate on why you think airing out Ro water before pushing it through resjnwould make any difference?
I would push it at same rate as your ro membrane output for a fair comparison or at rates that allow tds of output to stay 0tds or else high flow rate which too much water for needed contact time result in water not at 0 tds and ur resin will falsely last longer.
Also is hassle of storing and manually running through DI, if any, worth it ?I hope the difference will be big to justify the hassle.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can u elaborate on why you think airing out Ro water before pushing it through resjnwould make any difference?
I would push it at same rate as your ro membrane output for a fair comparison or at rates that allow tds of output to stay 0tds or else high flow rate which too much water for needed contact time result in water not at 0 tds and ur resin will falsely last longer.
Also is hassle of storing and manually running through DI, if any, worth it ?I hope the difference will be big to justify the hassle.
I believe this is to deplete co2 in the water, which in some cases explains going through di resin at a high rate.
I saw it's been mentioned on more than one occasion and am interested in working solutions.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max recommended pressure inside 1/4" LLDPE tubing (what people in this hobby recognize as "regular RO tubing") varies with temperature. A common spec is 220 psi at 70F.

Max suggested flow through a 10" x 2.5" mixed bed DI cart is typically 0.25 gpm.

If you look at permeate flow at spec temperature and pressure from a 75 gpd membrane its 0.05 gpm.

No doubt there could be some experimenting with "your" particular water and various flows vs DI performance (measured via effluent TDS).

If you "need" higher flows through your resin, or if you want to change resin less often, don't forget the option of jumping to a small tank rather than these small refillable cartridges.

Russ

OP
OP
A

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max recommended pressure inside 1/4" LLDPE tubing (what people in this hobby recognize as "regular RO tubing") varies with temperature. A common spec is 220 psi at 70F.

Max suggested flow through a 10" x 2.5" mixed bed DI cart is typically 0.25 gpm.

If you look at permeate flow at spec temperature and pressure from a 75 gpd membrane its 0.05 gpm.

No doubt there could be some experimenting with "your" particular water and various flows vs DI performance (measured via effluent TDS).

If you "need" higher flows through your resin, or if you want to change resin less often, don't forget the option of jumping to a small tank rather than these small refillable cartridges.

Russ
Can you elaborate on "jumping to a small tank"? Is that just packing the DI into a larger container that can allow more flow through?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A resin tank like is on a water softener. They make different sizes of those for different applications

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on "jumping to a small tank"? Is that just packing the DI into a larger container that can allow more flow through?
Yep. As I sit here I'm looking at an 0818 tank - 8" in diameter and 18" tall, with a simple in/out head on it. The major difference when you go to a tank is that it is downflow.

Russ

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back