DI...Can it go bad?

puffster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently changed my DI resin, due to the TDS and color change. After I refilled my cartridge (Certain brand, doesn't matter. Has been stored in the original packaging inside a Tupperware container with saran wrap as a barrier, for about 1 1/2 years). Anyway, when I recharged the system my TDS was 200! And after running about 1 and a half buckets through it, it still was 140'ish. I went to my LFS and purchased new DI resin and once replaced, it only took about two gallons to get 000 TDS. So, does Di resin go bad? And if so, is there a way to clean It / flush it for use or just toss it. Have about two gallon's worth of the old. Or are there better ways to store bulk? Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently changed my DI resin, due to the TDS and color change. After I refilled my cartridge (Certain brand, doesn't matter. Has been stored in the original packaging inside a Tupperware container with saran wrap as a barrier, for about 1 1/2 years). Anyway, when I recharged the system my TDS was 200! And after running about 1 and a half buckets through it, it still was 140'ish. I went to my LFS and purchased new DI resin and once replaced, it only took about two gallons to get 000 TDS. So, does Di resin go bad? And if so, is there a way to clean It / flush it for use or just toss it. Have about two gallon's worth of the old. Or are there better ways to store bulk? Thanks!
Sell it on eBay.

Resin can be recharged but it's a challenging process and ime it's easier and cheaper to buy new. It doesn't go bad, it just loses it's ability to grab charged particles out of the water column making it almost useless for the original purpose which it was created for.

Like Adam in the Garden, throw it out.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We frequently see DI resin being sold by end users, and even by some vendors, in run-of-the-mill ziplock bags. Yes, that resin will absolutely "go bad."

Part of the challenge with DI resin is to use the proper (expensive) vapor barrier bags (regular plastic bags and plastic wrap won't work), and to use an expensive vacuum sealing machine in the packaging of small quantities.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DI Resin must be stored in appropriate non permeable packaging.

It will go bad if wrapped in normal plastic bags or saran wrap.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back