OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure at this point I need to step in and do damage control [emoji51] I would love to hear some thoughts on it though, as I haven't seen anyone that didn't have eventual die-off even of GHA.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need some astrea snails and lettuce nudibranchs. Those two things ate almost all of my algae in 4 days during treatment! Mexican turbos didn't do much.

I'd seriously start thinking about pulling rocks and doing a removal via rasping the rocks.

I would take an inundated chunk of rock and put it in 3% hydrogen peroxide and see if it kills the algae.

You have to look at it this way, it killed something off, now we gotta figure out how to get the rest to go away.

wyattray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Nitrates rose from .2 to 15 in that short period time could be the main reason on why they are still growing. It could be the death of the GHA Algea fueling the longer more sustain strands.

I did the same treatment 95% of it was gone in 14 days and I went back to normal maintenance , it is mostly all back now 3 weeks after treatment, I should of waited the 21 days to eliminate all and get a better foothold on my nitrate control methods, now I have to start over.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, did you continue to carbon dose during the treatment?
I am considering treating my tank for GHA. I run a zeovit system and carbon dose with their product. I can easily bring both my NO3 & PO4 down to zero but the GHA continues. I haven't treated yet because my concern was the very thing you are going through with a rise in nitrates and phosphates without any nutrient export during treatment.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, did you continue to carbon dose during the treatment?
I am considering treating my tank for GHA. I run a zeovit system and carbon dose with their product. I can easily bring both my NO3 & PO4 down to zero but the GHA continues. I haven't treated yet because my concern was the very thing you are going through with a rise in nitrates and phosphates without any nutrient export during treatment.

I did. I use vinegar.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a zeolite reactor and dosed NOPOx and prodibio through the whole treatment. I stopped using zeobak/zeostart. It was just giving me brown slime everywhere in the tank

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know it's been a while and I'm not sure when this happened, but today I noticed that the thick, coarse turf algae is gone. Completely.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back