Fluconazole vs Bryopsis.....Round 1

Greenfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quick description of my tank, it's an Aquaone Minireef 120. I have modified the tank and sump a little bit to suit my needs (including drilling the tank...squeaky bum time!!!)
I've upgraded the return pump, to something more quiet, put a Bubble Magnus skimmer in the sump, heater and filled the middle section with spare rock (plenty of flow around it).

In the tank there is just the outlet for the return pump and a wave maker....along with LR, LPS, softies, clean up crew, bubble tip anemone (not very bubble tipped) and a couple of clowns.

Anyway after a good 18mth/2yrs of happy running I've noticed an algae that no matter how I deal with will not go away. Posted a pic in another tread and it was identified as the algae we all know and love!

So working out my volume to approx 120 lit, I have just dosed my tank with 800mg of Fluconazole (120 lit x 9mg = 1080mg OR 120 lit x 5mg = 600mg.....so went down the middle at 800mg, or 4 capsules).

The skimmer is off, carbon has been removed, filter sock changed from a wool to a mesh and the lights are on....I've extended to photoperiod by a couple of hours to 'encourage' the algae to grow, therefore taking more of the medication.

Fingers crossed....updates to follow as worktime allows!

OP
OP
Greenfishman

Greenfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0492.JPG

OP
OP
Greenfishman

Greenfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0493.JPG
FTS....just for a bit of tank ****
Can see the Bryopsis in amongst the Zoas, and behind the Acan - bottom left. Also a little patch behind the Duncan.....actually I'm seeing more the more I look

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in day 10 of a treatment and the stuff works plain and simple. I had bryopsis on rocks I brought over in a tank upgrade so there was not alot of it, but by day 10 there is no sign of any living bryopsis. I see a bit of dead stuff still hanging on the rocks.

OP
OP
Greenfishman

Greenfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so it's 4 days down the line. No glaringly obvious effects to the livestock in my tank (fish/corals).

However the Bryopsis looks to be 'weakening'. The smaller or couple of strand patches do look to be turning white at the end, the bigger patches don't look to be affected....yet. But it is only 4 days in.

Popped a little Rowa in my sump to deal with any spikes in phosphate as stuff is starts to die off. Have also managed to dig my 'spare' light out of the loft to illuminate the tank more, so now have the AquaOne stock LED light and the Razor 120 over my tank.

OP
OP
Greenfishman

Greenfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8.

Looking good, just a stubborn patch left where the light doesn't really get too....but it's going. Rest of tank looking clear, no ill effects to livestock. Skimmer still off as corals don't appearing to be suffering, put some rowaphos in sump to absorb phosphates.

Going to keep this going to min 14 days to really make sure it's gone, although have enough left for 2nd dose if required.

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Fluc work on hair algae? No matter my tank husbandry the
Hair algae keeps growing!

OP
OP
Greenfishman

Greenfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluc work on hair algae? No matter my tank husbandry the
Hair algae keeps growing!
Think some have had success with it against hair algae, it's never been a problem for me tho. Have a look at the last couple of pages in the pinned article at top of the algae forum, think some one was using it against hair algae.

Found the link, scroll down to Brandon42 post, he had hair algae.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...th-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/page-216

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back