Fluconazolo and vodka

cristian1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers I'm about to do a flucunazole dosage for a bryopsis epidemic.
I wanted to ask you if I can leave the GFO resins during the treatment and continue the vodka dosage?

Thank you in advance..

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double your vodka dose, keep adding the same amount of vodka to the tank, and remove carbon, shut off the skimmer (or turn it down so it doesn't overflow) and I don't think you need to remove GFO as its not removing stuff like carbon. But certainly double your own vodka dose since this is the holidays and you can celebrate the death of your enemy bryopsis for New Years!.

drink up happy hour GIF by US National Archives

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my opinion:

Since fluconazole treatments allow NO skimming, I would completely stop the vodka dosing or severely restrict it until the bryopsis treatment is finished.

I would stop GFO, activated carbon, UV, ozone, and skimming for at least the 3-day treatment.

Once the treatment finishes, you can resume normal aquarium maintenance.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my opinion:

Since fluconazole treatments allow NO skimming, I would completely stop the vodka dosing or severely restrict it until the bryopsis treatment is finished.

I would stop GFO, activated carbon, UV, ozone, and skimming for at least the 3-day treatment.

Once the treatment finishes, you can resume normal aquarium maintenance.

Carbon is not supposed to be in for the entire 2 weeks from my understanding. I think gfo is fine with it from an old post where I asked Randy.

OP
OP
C

cristian1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before dosing the drug I want to try to raise the PO4 to the ratio with NO3 according to Randy's article on PO4 the algae of this kind should decrease.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before dosing the drug I want to try to raise the PO4 to the ratio with NO3 according to Randy's article on PO4 the algae of this kind should decrease.
Not really. Ratios aren’t going to make any difference, and bryopsis grow well in any nutrient conditions: low and high levels.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even in a right redfield ratio?
Redfield ratios have no difference in aquariums. It is misused science extrapolated from plankton N: P: C ratios. It won’t make ANY difference in a tank.

OP
OP
C

cristian1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redfield ratios have no difference in aquariums. It is misused science extrapolated from plankton N: P: C ratios. It won’t make ANY difference in a tank.
Ok perfect, then I would like to better understand Randy's article on PO4 where he talks about Briopsis and the increase in PO4

OP
OP
C

cristian1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate Uptake by Organisms: Microalgae

It’s frequently said that limiting phosphate will limit algae growth in reef aquaria. That is almost certainly true, but some species of microalgae thrive more readily under phosphate limitation than others (click here for a phosphate limitation study). Bryopsis and Debresia are, for example, two types of pest algae that reef aquarists are generally unable to completely deal with by reducing phosphate. Presumably there is a phosphate level below which it will die, but such low levels may also kill organisms we want to thrive (such as corals).

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate Uptake by Organisms: Microalgae

It’s frequently said that limiting phosphate will limit algae growth in reef aquaria. That is almost certainly true, but some species of microalgae thrive more readily under phosphate limitation than others (click here for a phosphate limitation study). Bryopsis and Debresia are, for example, two types of pest algae that reef aquarists are generally unable to completely deal with by reducing phosphate. Presumably there is a phosphate level below which it will die, but such low levels may also kill organisms we want to thrive (such as corals).
That article is just saying that you can‘t get rid of bryopsis just by starving the tank of phosphate, which is true.

The article does NOT say that increasing phosphate or trying to find a ratio will make any difference in bryopsis elimination.

OP
OP
C

cristian1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the only way is medication?
That article is just saying that you can‘t get rid of bryopsis just by starving the tank of phosphate, which is true.

The article does NOT say that increasing phosphate or trying to find a ratio will make any difference in bryopsis elimination.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the only way is medication?
Medication or manual removal.

Some people find foxface fish can be hit or miss. Most (if not all) fish don’t like bryopsis.

I’m curious to see if sea hares are effective herbivores for bryopsis.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back