OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this - unless you can have a professional person come and do it or take it to a / sitter. The vast likelihood is that it will get more messed up. It's (New phrase) 'Hemdals law' - everything happens the day before you leave for vacation.
Totally agree with this. I don't want to treat in tank and not be there to observe the fish and how it reacts to the medication.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok, thank you all for the advice. My current plan is a 60 min ruby rally pro dip to reduce any current symptoms/parasites for the next few days/week. It would probably be best to introduce into the frag tank, but there are two wrasses in there right now waiting to be introduced to my display after an observational QT. I would have to move the wrasses first before placing the hippo into the frag tank, and I don't think 3 days of observing the aggression towards the wrasses in the display is enough? The QT tank is fairly established, I started it with Dr. Tim's ammonia at 2ppm and waited until it fully dropped to zero around 2.5 weeks later. I also used some established media from my display and frag systems.

What would be the main advantage to introducing the tang into the frag tank versus back into the QT? I can add more filtration (ROX carbon to the frag tank if necessary).

When I leave, I am planning on feeding small amounts of herbivore flake / mysis pellet which it already eats using an auto feeder. Also, I was going to put a ball of caulerpa in there as well with lighting to keep it alive. This way, there is an abundance of food but it avoids decomposing food in theory.
Was confused on all the tanks- By all means QT tank

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was confused on all the tanks- By all means QT tank
Ok, yeah sorry for the confusion. Yeah the wrasse scenario two weeks ago was not the most calming experience, but the two that I still have are doing great and eating like pigs. Thanks for your help with that situation as well, I appreciate it.

Ok, so I will plan on Ruby Rally Pro dip for 60 minutes tomorrow, then back into QT while I'm gone and hope for the best!

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo tang doing great after I got home today! So grateful there were no hiccups during vacation... I used an auto feeder for flakes and threw some caulerpa in there as well. I will start a prazipro treatment tomorrow! Looks very healthy, no sign of ick or velvet, but still want to treat for flukes. Thanks again for everyone's help, and I will keep you guys updated!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back