Flukes! Dose entire tank?

Curly11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening helpful friends. I have a decently stocked FOWLR 300gal DT. My newest occupant is a female blue throated trigger. She has started showing signs of flukes (white on her fins and shaking/diving into the rock). I have spent all afternoon trying to catch her so that I could do a 5 min RODI dip. I cannot get her into the net (30" deep in hindsight not the best idea)

I believe my LFS has some Presi. If I can get my hands on some tomorrow, can I dose the whole aquarium?

Livestock
-6-line wrasse
-Quoyi Parrotfish
-Naso Tang
-Queen Angel
-Lyretail anethias
-Midas Blenny
-Lawnmower Blenny
-Aus Harlequin Tusk
-Saddleback Butterfly
-Black Clownfish
-Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
-Turbo Snails
-Two small Urchins

Thank you all. I've learned so much from this forum

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a fish trap, have a friend with one? There are videos one how to make them that might be an option

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try catching after the light is out when it’s asleep. Got a red light flashlight

OP
OP
Curly11

Curly11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at some of the DIY traps now. They are going to bed....I don't have a red flashlight unfortunately. So "no" on the whole tank treatment?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening helpful friends. I have a decently stocked FOWLR 300gal DT. My newest occupant is a female blue throated trigger. She has started showing signs of flukes (white on her fins and shaking/diving into the rock). I have spent all afternoon trying to catch her so that I could do a 5 min RODI dip. I cannot get her into the net (30" deep in hindsight not the best idea)

I believe my LFS has some Presi. If I can get my hands on some tomorrow, can I dose the whole aquarium?

Livestock
-6-line wrasse
-Quoyi Parrotfish
-Naso Tang
-Queen Angel
-Lyretail anethias
-Midas Blenny
-Lawnmower Blenny
-Aus Harlequin Tusk
-Saddleback Butterfly
-Black Clownfish
-Turbo Snails
-Two small Urchins

The wrasse, tusk, & anthias are more sensitive so you will need to monitor them to signs of distress but I don’t think you have a choice but you do want to post a video or a YouTube link showing the behavior of the trigger to ppl here can confirm on your diagnosis.

OP
OP
Curly11

Curly11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just got her in the net and gave her a 3 min dip. "Waiting till she slept" for the win.
I haven't been able to get her on camera when she "dives at the rocks". I had her quarantined at WWC because she had flukes according to them. Picked her up two weeks later.

Attachments

• Blue Trigger.jpg
    Blue Trigger.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Curly11

Curly11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely get video tomorrow with the lights on to confirm with everyone before doing anything tank wide. Also, going to get myself a DIY fishtrap to have handy and a red light. Thank you all for helping. I'll keep you posted for sure!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dose in the tank. The only think that will have problems are feather dusters. If you treat outside the tank the fish will likely just get them again

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Livestock
-6-line wrasse
-Quoyi Parrotfish
-Naso Tang
-Queen Angel
-Lyretail anethias
-Midas Blenny
-Lawnmower Blenny
-Aus Harlequin Tusk
-Saddleback Butterfly
-Black Clownfish
-Turbo Snails
-Two small Urchins

If confirmed flukes, you can use PraziPro and add aeration as it reduces oxygen and appetite slightly. Other signs will be a yawning effect, heavier breathing rate, scratching or darting, loss of appetite as examples

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with treating the tank - assuming that's the case (flukes) - a dip is only a temporary measure as compared to a cure - and your other fish may have as well. Best wishes - interested to see a full picture of your tank!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also want to point out - people use dips to “look for flukes”, but only one group of flukes can be seen with the naked eye in dip water, the other species need a low powered microscope to see them.

Jay

OP
OP
Curly11

Curly11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I will get the Prezi and carefully does the tank. She seems to be doing better this morning. Still swimming near the top, but that has always been her area. I haven't witnessed any twitching and/or rubbing of rocks yet today. She ate a huge breakfast so I will take that as a good sign. I'll try and get a better pic tonight without the window glare. Now I'm off to ask the forum what lighting is the best for the fish colors!

Attachments

• IMG_8829.jpg
    IMG_8829.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 49

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back