Beginner to coral

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is a Red Sea 3XL 900 G2+ so 240 gallon system

For filtration, simplicity 800DC skimmer, 55 watt UV, 4 4” filter socks, algae refugium.
2 jebao wave makers.
3 nicrew 150 W lights, I have the controller.

Fish:
Threadfin snapper 8”
Magnificent foxface 6”
Blue throat trigger 5”
Emperor angel 5”
Purple tang 4”
Polleni grouper 4”
Bi color angel 3”

Gonna add:
Coral cat shark
Blue dot ray
Harlequin tusk
Naso tang
Guinea fowl puffer
8-10 of some medium size schooling fish, maybe chromis or anthias.

(1) I’m trying to get started with coral,
what is your protocol when getting a new coral? Dip it? Quarantine as if it’s a fish?

(2) What are common diseases that they get?and how do you treat them?

(3) are my lights good enough for all coral?

(4) how do you feed your coral?

(5) is it worth it to buy a frag tank? If I do, any recommendations? Can I plumb it into my system?

(6) what other equipment should I look into for corals? Dosing, reactors, etc?

(7) what corals should I test with my fish first? To see if they pick at them?

(8) are there any corals that I should stay away from?

(9) what test kits do you have? I only have a cheap API one, and am guessing I need something better?

image.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get LPS or SPS coral you'll need to test calcium, magnesium (occasionally), alkalinity, phosphate and nitrates, you'll also need to dose alk and calcium as well as trace elements occasionally. If you do soft corals it's easier. They don't get many diseases (besides BJD) and you mainly need to lookout for pests/parasites on the coral. A good dip before adding anything is recommended. If you want something fast growing that will cover your entire rockwork go with GSP, xenia or Kenya tree. They don't necessarily need to be fed but it benefits them greatly. Certian LPS can have mysis 1-3 times a week and for everything else broadcast feeding works. You could rent a PAR meter as certan corals have special lighting requirements, make sure to know if the coral is low, moderate or high light/flow. The thing that catches my eye on the stock list is the angelfish, try getting some cheap frags at your LFS and see if they pick at them. Some people will say you need a reactor, generator ect but I've had success without them. Also keep your parameters stable, as parameter swings can harm them. Make sure to know aggression as many LPS have sweeper arms that can kill neighboring corals. Good luck jumping into this side of the hobby.

Also, a 240 sounds too small for a catshark or ray

Also, PLEASE don't use API, use red sea, salifert or hanna!

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get LPS or SPS coral you'll need to test calcium, magnesium (occasionally), alkalinity, phosphate and nitrates, you'll also need to dose alk and calcium as well as trace elements occasionally. If you do soft corals it's easier. They don't get many diseases (besides BJD) and you mainly need to lookout for pests/parasites on the coral. A good dip before adding anything is recommended. If you want something fast growing that will cover your entire rockwork go with GSP, xenia or Kenya tree. They don't necessarily need to be fed but it benefits them greatly. Certian LPS can have mysis 1-3 times a week and for everything else broadcast feeding works. You could rent a PAR meter as certan corals have special lighting requirements, make sure to know if the coral is low, moderate or high light/flow. The thing that catches my eye on the stock list is the angelfish, try getting some cheap frags at your LFS and see if they pick at them. Some people will say you need a reactor, generator ect but I've had success without them. Also keep your parameters stable, as parameter swings can harm them. Make sure to know aggression as many LPS have sweeper arms that can kill neighboring corals. Good luck jumping into this side of the hobby.

Also, a 240 sounds too small for a catshark or ray

Also, PLEASE don't use API, use red sea, salifert or hanna!
Thank you!! Will definitely get some new test kits, and then for the frag tank idea, does it sound stupid to get one, as this is my first time with coral?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back