Flukes? Ich?

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My helfrich goby has spots all over can’t tell if it’s ich or flukes please help.
image.jpg

OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks almost like little worms especially the parts on its lower fin looks like 2 worms hanging

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These look like mucus cones associated with ich. This type of fish can get nematode worms but not convinced with this fish. Being a delicate fish, While you can treat with low level copper, Hyposalinity may be a better course for treatment at salinity level 1.009.
If you resort to copper, coppersafe is best but you will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.0 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials or a used tank setup from goodwill

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think the fish has ich. This species is pretty resistant to flukes, and flukes don't show as discrete spots like that. After a fish has had ich for some time, you can start to see more mucus.

How long have you had the fish?
Do ANY other fish in the tank show any spots?

Jay

OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look like mucus cones associated with ich. This type of fish can get nematode worms but not convinced with this fish. Being a delicate fish, While you can treat with low level copper, Hyposalinity may be a better course for treatment at salinity level 1.009.
If you resort to copper, coppersafe is best but you will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.0 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials or a used tank setup from goodwill
Thank you so much yeah I just started the copper treatment ima slowly increase it but it’s a start

OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think the fish has ich. This species is pretty resistant to flukes, and flukes don't show as discrete spots like that. After a fish has had ich for some time, you can start to see more mucus.

Jay

Jay
Oh ok thanks for the help. I’ve had it for around a month give or take. Maybe a bit longer but not much like a month and a week or two. No other fish has any symptoms or spots on them they all seem to be fine besides the helfrich. I also have 2 clowns and a flame back angelfish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok thanks for the help. I’ve had it for around a month give or take. Maybe a bit longer but not much like a month and a week or two. No other fish has any symptoms or spots on them they all seem to be fine besides the helfrich. I also have 2 clowns and a flame back angelfish.

Well, since the only real treatment for ich is going to involve separating all of the fish from the invertebrates and either running hyposalinity or dosing with copper, I think you should just wait to see if any other fish develop spots. Visual IDs of fish diseases are never 100%, and we need to go on other clues. In this case, true ich will spread to the other fish. If it doesn't spread, then it is something else.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back