Flukes in tank

yUwEn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, if a tank doesnt have any fish, will flukes die?

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Every parasite has a life cycle and and needs a host fish to continue its reproduction cycle which is why we have Fallow periods (fishless) so that the life cycle is ended

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Every parasite has a life cycle and and needs a host fish to continue its reproduction cycle which is why we have Fallow periods (fishless) so that the life cycle is ended
There is an exception to this Uronema does not require a host.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Uronema is a ciliated protozoa that live freely in marine environment eating bacteria But will attach to a weakened fish and feed off their internal organs and muscles and reproduce. Uronema marinum is classified as a saltwater parasite with a different behavior opposed to cyst type but bears similar symptoms. QT breaks their cycle of producing these flesh eating bacteria

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Uronema is a ciliated protozoa that live freely in marine environment eating bacteria But will attach to a weakened fish and feed off their internal organs and muscles and reproduce. Uronema marinum is classified as a saltwater parasite with a different behavior opposed to cyst type but bears similar symptoms. QT breaks their cycle of producing these flesh eating bacteria
Yes - the point was leaving a tank fallow does not remove Uronema. Uronema is not a bacteria. The good news is that Uronema seems to rarely attack healthy fish, as compared to weakened one. There are often questions 'If I have uronema, do I need to completely sterilize and tear down/disinfect my tank. The answer is no. The answer is also - that it can remain in your tank - and thereafter, even fish that have been quarantined can be infected - depending on the conditions.

"Uronema marinum - No fallow period, as it does not require a fish host to survive. It is an opportunistic parasite that strikes when a fish’s immune system has been compromised. Uronema mainly affects damsels (especially chromis) and clownfish."

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This person has flukes/fluke concern and youre discussing uronema?
Opportunistic it is and you dont leave fish in the tank and wait for it to consume them too.
Im done talking uronema - I think concerned person got the answer looking for- Not a debate as always

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Flukes cannot survive without a fish host, but the length of time this takes varies between species of fluke. The free swimming fluke larva will die within 3 days if there is not host. Without a host fish, the larva will not turn into adults. However, some flukes lay eggs. The most common of these is Neobenedenia. Reportedly, the eggs from this species can take up to 12 days to hatch. With 12+3 = 15, it would seem that 15 days would be the longest needed to clear a tank of flukes. However, I've had cases where they lasted longer than that. I know advise people to wait 30 days with no fish in a tank to ensure the flukes are cleared.

Jay

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back