Flukes ? Neobenedenia ?

yunes marco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys , good evening!!
I hope you all are well.
it's been almost 3 months trying to get rid of the itch in fish and I'm not succeeding. I have already removed the fish from the aquarium and treated them with cumpramine, formalin, methylene blue and malachite green and it didn't work. after not having success in the treatment, I returned with the fish to the aquarium and I'm trying with prazipro, it's the 4 time I do the dosage, the itching has decreased, but it hasn't stopped.. the fish don't have white spots like the ich, but the fins are different, some have corroded fins. I don't know what else to do, should I keep dosing prazipro until the itch is gone?
(Picture) after 2 days theses white spots on the fins are gone … but the fishes it still itch…
Thank you very much!!

B50E9D9E-D96E-4F75-80D1-2463647C462D.png 5C1D6242-572D-43D9-9DE5-85D35D20EBD9.png 44FA0AC6-DF30-420F-8ED5-16FD9309AF16.png 62C08C65-56A2-48B6-AFD8-F489FC70F202.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys , good evening!!
I hope you all are well.
it's been almost 3 months trying to get rid of the itch in fish and I'm not succeeding. I have already removed the fish from the aquarium and treated them with cumpramine, formalin, methylene blue and malachite green and it didn't work. after not having success in the treatment, I returned with the fish to the aquarium and I'm trying with prazipro, it's the 4 time I do the dosage, the itching has decreased, but it hasn't stopped.. the fish don't have white spots like the ich, but the fins are different, some have corroded fins. I don't know what else to do, should I keep dosing prazipro until the itch is gone?
(Picture) after 2 days theses white spots on the fins are gone … but the fishes it still itch…
Thank you very much!!

B50E9D9E-D96E-4F75-80D1-2463647C462D.png 5C1D6242-572D-43D9-9DE5-85D35D20EBD9.png 44FA0AC6-DF30-420F-8ED5-16FD9309AF16.png 62C08C65-56A2-48B6-AFD8-F489FC70F202.png

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The big white spot on the gem and black longnose tangs probably isn't a fluke, they are too large and too white. It could be broken fin rays. I've also seen some weird copepods that come in on gem tangs.

Some flukes are very difficult to treat with prazi because they are egg layers, and the prazi does not kill the eggs. You then kill the flukes on the fish, but new eggs hatch out and reinfect the fish, starting the cycle all over again. These flukes can be managed by moving all of the fish to another tank and treating them for 30 days of hyposalinity (as specific gravity of 1.009) then holding them at normal salinity for two more weeks before moving them back to the display tank.

Jay

OP
OP
yunes marco

yunes marco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The big white spot on the gem and black longnose tangs probably isn't a fluke, they are too large and too white. It could be broken fin rays. I've also seen some weird copepods that come in on gem tangs.

Some flukes are very difficult to treat with prazi because they are egg layers, and the prazi does not kill the eggs. You then kill the flukes on the fish, but new eggs hatch out and reinfect the fish, starting the cycle all over again. These flukes can be managed by moving all of the fish to another tank and treating them for 30 days of hyposalinity (as specific gravity of 1.009) then holding them at normal salinity for two more weeks before moving them back to the display tank.

Jay
hello Jay, I'm honored for your help! I will analyze the possibility of removing the fish again! Do you think it would be a good idea to continue dosing prazipro until the rest of the medication is finished? Do you believe that I still have a chance to figure out this problem in this way?

thank you very much!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back