Fluted derasa

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vette67
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2017
Messages
1,092
Reaction score
2,858
Location
North Olmsted, Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen this? I bought this derasa back in February, and since then it has grown almost half an inch of new shell. But also recently, I have been noticing fluting growing out from the shell. And if you look towards the back right side of this picture, that flute sticks out almost 1/4 inch. I’m hoping that means it’s a happy clam and is growing well. I had a derasa about 10 years ago that grew about 6 inches of shell before it died, but I never saw fluting on the shell.

Has anyone else seen this on their derasa?
FE8589A3-80E6-45A0-893C-BEE92808800B.jpeg
 
I purchased a derasa a long time ago that had those all over it, are they not supposed too? Mine died, unfortunately, when I treated for flatworms with pig dewormer. Maybe I didn't have a derasa?
 
Here’s my old derasa. And that’s a 12 inch floor tile. There are ridges on the shell, but nothing that sticks out like the fluting on a squamosa. Also, there is no fluting on the shell from before I got it. So it just seemed odd to me. I haven’t seen flutes stick out that far on a derasa before. Maybe it is normal...
3496AA8D-9766-4F3B-9C8A-8A83E4E78431.jpeg
 
I guess my derasa was actually a squamosa? It had scutes or whatever all over it.
 
OP. I have seen this flute growth with Derasa before, but can't answer why. Maybe it is to help stabilize against flow/currents untill the clam gains enough mass? I don't think it is anything to be concerned about long term.
I like your avatar & username-I had a C5 & have a C7 , the C8 looks amazing
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new