Fluval 13.5 Build

Virtua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been around six years since I last dabbled in this hobby, and I recently acquired a Fluval 13.5 from Facebook Marketplace. After spending a couple of weeks cycling, I've noticed significant changes in the hobby during my absence. I'm genuinely excited to explore what it has in store for me after all these years.

Here's my current setup:

Equipment:
  • Fluval 13.5
    • Default return pump
    • Lid included in the setup (unsure of the manufacturer)
  • Prime 16HD (Running Pennywise Deadlights schedule)
  • 3dOcean 3D Printed Media Basket Set
    • One basket filled with MarinePure Gems & Filter Floss
    • One basket filled with cultured ceramic media obtained from my local fish store and an established tank
  • Generic Heater
  • Generic Powerhead
My aim is to create a tank dominated by LPS corals with no substrate – aiming for a clean and vibrant aesthetic.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice. I've been grappling with issues related to flow, recent occurrences of some aptasia, and the challenge of maintaining stable water parameters.

Apologies in advance for the poor picture quality. Any help or guidance is welcome!

IMG_2362.jpg

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barebottom tank off the bat! Nice, that's gonna be a sweet tank when it grows in. Only thing I'll say is make sure to keep an eye on ammonia. Not having a substrate, there's very limited surface for bacteria to take hold of, not impossible by any means, but keep an eye on it. Also some encrusters across the bottom of the tank always looks pretty sweet!

OP
OP
V

Virtua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated Progress :

Lost a couple pieces of coral due to parameter swings but I am hoping that I am out of the woods now. Still partially in the ugly stage I believe but it's slowly getting cleaner. Excuse the junk on the bottom of the tank. I have yet to do this weeks water change.

Rip 2x Montis (Monti eating Nudi I think), 1 Hammer (Parameter Swings)

I have one torch that is struggling pictured bottom right in the tank (first picture). I have a feeling its because of parameter swings as well. I will be spot feeding it and if that doesn't help I will be dipping it. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

IMG_2648.jpg
IMG_2644.jpg
IMG_2646.jpg

OP
OP
V

Virtua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures to update this thread. Will provide some more information on my journey tonight!

Lost a torch due to what I think was BJD and re-arranged some of the coral to address space issues.

Coral Update 2.jpg

Coral Update.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back