Fluval 6g Edge Revival

Discussion in 'Nano Reefs' started by Ryan@ShelteredReef, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef Active Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Build Thread Contributor

A little background; I had this setup back in college and kept a pretty successful tank with primarily SPS along with hammers and zoas. Even with it being moved to and from the dorms every few weeks in line with breaks, I had decent growth and color. After graduation, I gave the tank to my father as I was working full time and didn't have time to devote to taking care of a second tank. Soon after, he was promoted to a position that required more frequent travel so the tank was neglected. And there it sat...until now
    Being that I spend every day at the shop, my dad 'offered' the tank back to me to setup as another mini display. So here we are, another build/progression thread. Stay tuned

Katrina71 likes this.

2. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef Active Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Build Thread Contributor

IMG_7713.jpg
    Filled 2 hours prior. Same rock that was from the previous setup featuring a yellow sponge.
    IMG_7717.JPG IMG_7718.JPG
    Looking back, I made the cutout for the overflow section way too narrow. This may be on a list of improvements that need to take place
    IMG_7725.JPG IMG_7723.JPG
    AI Prime mounted with an angle bracket. Bare in mind, this entire setup was put together and modified in a college dorm. Please excuse the rough work.
    IMG_7728.JPG IMG_7730.JPG IMG_7732.JPG IMG_7733.JPG
    Looking forward to updating this one as corals are added. May tie it into the 75 but thats still up for discussion. I'm not sure what to stock fish/invert wise. Fat Tommy, the 4 year old orange banded hermit crab is the sole intentional non-cnidarian inhabitant at the moment.

Katrina71 likes this.
  3. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Thought about a Tailspot Blenny?

Ryan@ShelteredReef likes this.
  4. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Thats one I've been considering. I love barnacle blennies as well. Blue stripe pipefish are another consideration, albeit much more challenging and would certainly need supplemental live foods for the entirety of their being housed in the edge. I've kept dragonface pipes and weened them onto frozen mysis fairly easily. I haven't tried anything with a mouth as tiny as the blue stripes.

5. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Our Tailspot is fun and has so much attitude! Knocks our biggest crab (Jenny Craig) off the barnacles.

6. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Hahaha thats great! They really do have a very deliberate personality and no fear

Katrina71 likes this.
  7. Katrina71

I have some extra barnacles if you decide to go that route and need some.

8. Ryan@ShelteredReef

I may just take you up on it haha. You wouldn't happen to be going to CTARS Fragtoberfest on the 14th would you?

Katrina71 likes this.
  9. Katrina71

No. I'd be glad to mail them to ya.

10. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ill shoot you a pm

Katrina71 likes this.
  11. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Little update. Added a tailspot blenny and a cleaner goby in addition to some new corals. Cleaner goby edge.jpg Tailspot 10-4-17.jpg Top Rock Acan 10-4-17.jpg Right Side 10-4-17.jpg

12. cameronh

cameronh Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad

Looking good

13. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Thank you. It's much easier to stock it now that I have an entire shop full of frags to choose from without them costing me any more money haha

Mike N likes this.
  14. Clayton Jessup

Clayton Jessup Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Is this aquarium still up and running ?

15. Ryan@ShelteredReef

It is indeed

Clayton Jessup likes this.
  16. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Cell phone pic after cleaning the glass so things are a bit stirred up
    IMG_7975.JPG.jpeg

musashi and Tahoe61 like this.
  17. Clayton Jessup

Do you have any pictures of how you built the overflow system for the tank ?

18. Ryan@ShelteredReef

I'm actually bringing it with us when we go to fragtoberfest on Saturday so I'll snap some pictures of the modifications I did. All the mods were done in my dorm room so you'll have to excuse the craftsmanship. Nothing crazy, and its all pretty rough because I only had a hacksaw, a box cutter, and some weld-on 16.

Clayton Jessup likes this.
  19. Clayton Jessup

I am still dying to see how you did it . I just got my hands on a 6g edge and I am thinking of installing a overflow as well

20. DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I use 2 of these for my traveling tanks to class rooms. Love them. Great little tanks. I always change the lighting and filtration though. Nice Tank!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted