Fluval 6g Edge Revival

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background; I had this setup back in college and kept a pretty successful tank with primarily SPS along with hammers and zoas. Even with it being moved to and from the dorms every few weeks in line with breaks, I had decent growth and color. After graduation, I gave the tank to my father as I was working full time and didn't have time to devote to taking care of a second tank. Soon after, he was promoted to a position that required more frequent travel so the tank was neglected. And there it sat...until now
Being that I spend every day at the shop, my dad 'offered' the tank back to me to setup as another mini display. So here we are, another build/progression thread. Stay tuned

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7713.jpg

Filled 2 hours prior. Same rock that was from the previous setup featuring a yellow sponge.
IMG_7717.JPG
IMG_7718.JPG

Looking back, I made the cutout for the overflow section way too narrow. This may be on a list of improvements that need to take place
IMG_7725.JPG
IMG_7723.JPG

AI Prime mounted with an angle bracket. Bare in mind, this entire setup was put together and modified in a college dorm. Please excuse the rough work.
IMG_7728.JPG
IMG_7730.JPG
IMG_7732.JPG
IMG_7733.JPG

Looking forward to updating this one as corals are added. May tie it into the 75 but thats still up for discussion. I'm not sure what to stock fish/invert wise. Fat Tommy, the 4 year old orange banded hermit crab is the sole intentional non-cnidarian inhabitant at the moment.

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about a Tailspot Blenny?
Thats one I've been considering. I love barnacle blennies as well. Blue stripe pipefish are another consideration, albeit much more challenging and would certainly need supplemental live foods for the entirety of their being housed in the edge. I've kept dragonface pipes and weened them onto frozen mysis fairly easily. I haven't tried anything with a mouth as tiny as the blue stripes.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats one I've been considering. I love barnacle blennies as well. Blue stripe pipefish are another consideration, albeit much more challenging and would certainly need supplemental live foods for the entirety of their being housed in the edge. I've kept dragonface pipes and weened them onto frozen mysis fairly easily. I haven't tried anything with a mouth as tiny as the blue stripes.
Our Tailspot is fun and has so much attitude! Knocks our biggest crab (Jenny Craig) off the barnacles.

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of how you built the overflow system for the tank ?
I'm actually bringing it with us when we go to fragtoberfest on Saturday so I'll snap some pictures of the modifications I did. All the mods were done in my dorm room so you'll have to excuse the craftsmanship. Nothing crazy, and its all pretty rough because I only had a hacksaw, a box cutter, and some weld-on 16.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back