Fluval 9g Hood conversion to add Fluval Nano

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

About 3 1/2 years ago I started a venture for my work desk salt water aquarium. Original Thread

I have recently been laid off and had to bring the tank home. It has gone through many different catastrophes, but all in all has done quite well.

Its a Fluval 9g. Currently I have about 4-6 pounds of live rock, the same 2 clown fish, 2 turbo snails and a handful of hermit crabs.

Since it is home with me now, I wanted to get into some corals and have purchased the Fluval Sea Nano light. Fluval Nano Light

So, I am thinking I can cut the hood of my tank and put this light in it. :)

Any thoughts, or has anyone else done this?

biznatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that for a little while on my 15g flex. I cut the hole just big enough for the bottom of the light, and the lip at the top of the light sat on top of the cover. It worked fine, but I ended up getting a full premade clear plexi top for the tank instead for like 40$. Now you can see the whole tank from the top, and I have the nano mounted on its normal stand.

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I went one step further on your first setup. I will try to add pictures, I always forget that part lol.

I bought a project box that is big enough to go around the LED lights, but smaller than the footprint of the bottom of the light.

I then dremmeld out the top of the project box lid and a hole in my tank lid, simply tracing it worked well enough, as you have a good 1/4 - 1/2 leeway. This gave me an easy way to offset the light up off the water a bit more as well.

I superglued the project box lid to the light, but havent decided yet how to affix the light onto the lid. I am thinking maybe just a small bead of aquarium epoxy, something that will ensure I dont get salt creep coming up through the cracks.

Aside from that, it went pretty easy and the light is on and working great.

Now, some have posted that the standard spectrum schedule that Fluval has isnt appropriate for corals, so if anyone has the magic settings, that would be great. I am sure there is a thread here for it somewhere, but I can only imagine it is like 20 pages long and everyone has something different lol...

Thanks Biz for the tips.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back