Starting New Nano Reef

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 75g reef aquarium about 20 years ago, was great fun, but had to get rid of it when moving.

Since then, I still wander around the LPS looking, and have decided to create a tank on my desk at work.

I finally selected the Freshwater 9g Fluval system. I liked the 5gal Fluval, but the minimal water in that system just doesn't allow really for weekends, and I didnt care much for the lid on the tank, as I want minimal mess.

I added 12-15 lbs of live sand, 8lbs of live rock, 5g of LPS water and about 2g of Grocery Store water w/salt.

I added a Tertra HT10 heater, but coming in 24 hours later the water is 74 degrees. The carton says 78 +- 2.

I plan to take water sample to LPS today for some tests, see what comes up. Also need a real thermometer (used a digital one for cooking).

So, best I know, I am going to let it sit for a few days, see what water comes back as.... when do I add some snails/crabs?

The light is 7k, I realize at some point I will need a better light, but just going to worry about that when I get to that point.

What else do I need to be looking at?

Thanks all for the help, great forums, I have spent hours reading here lol...

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled.png

Etmanning

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool little tank!

Definitely check the temp again with something more accurate. If the heater is still only getting to 74 you might want to try a different one. The Cobalt neo-therms are nice for small tanks.

The light definitely could use some work, and it would be much better to just leave it off for now to reduce algae growth during the cycle. Maybe look at an AI prime?

I'd wait 2 weeks minimum before adding anything, but testing for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is the best way to know what's going on.

Good luck!

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will take to LPS today for testing, do you guys test your own water? If so, is there something decent that I can use? I have a pool and use a $90 kit to test that all the time, but aside from PH and maybe calcium I dont think any others would be worth testing.

I am guessing the dip sticks dont work very well for aquariums either? They are frowned upon in the pool water testing world.

I saw the API kit for around 30 or so, that seemed good, but the reviews were not great...

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, forgot to ask, you really think the 7k light is that bad that I should turn it off??

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make something clear. You say that you picked up a fresh water tank but you also reference salt water. So this will be a saltwater system correct?

Stay away from the API test kits red sea and salifert are the most commonly used brands. Hanna checkers can also be good for those that are color blind or just have a hard time the deciphering the colors . Even for me it is a hard time to pick which color is right.

The AI prime light is a good light for a tank like this. I just put one on my 10 gallon tank.

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it’s salt. So, my thought was i’d Get different light eventually and get it into the hood. Is the AI light going to need to be away from the tank? Or can I Jerry rig it into the hood?

Thanks for info

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so its been about a week from setup. All things seem fine (kinda boring).

I think I am ready to do something about the light. I have the Fluval 9 gal Flex. It come with a small remote for the light, different colors, etc. Could put on a timer, but its just on/off, I couldn't set blues vs whites.

They dont say much about it on the box, but here is the info...
7500K LED lamp supports plant growth and enhances fish colors
Fully adjustable White + RGB LEDs for endless color blends
FLEXPad remote can also control fun special effects (i.e. fading cloud cover, lightning bolts)

So all that seems fine, but from what I am reading, isn't going to work for corals and great reef tank experiance.

This tank is in my office, on my desk. The tank has a thin plastic lid, and I need this to stay on the tank somehow. It needs a lid, or I can't have it on my desk.

My thought was that this 7.5k light would be enough for the WHITE version, I would put that on a timer for "daylight". Then find something different for the blues, so they can be on their own timer.

Is this going to work?

So I am looking for a light, that I can remount back onto the same lid, that is basically 1 inch from water line and can be placed on timers.

Any ideas?

Etmanning

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people do DIY led builds before. Only takes a bit of simple electronics knowledge and a weekend. Maybe give that a shot? It's going to be very difficult to fit something into an existing lid especially that close to the water surface. I think you would be okay with the stock white as long as you are okay keeping macroalgae and very low light soft corals.

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to keep my thread up to date, I have added 2 small "nemo" clown fish to the tank. I have not seen any hitchhikers to the 8 lbs of live rock or the live sand. The clown fish were added 7/27, and are currently eating OmegaOne Marine flakes eagerly. They have settled in it seems. I am not positive they are paired, they were in the same tank at the pet store, and have not really messed with each other at all.

I am planning to do my first water change this week, looking at about 1 gal (approx 10%).

Should I be cleaning my filtration items, or leave them be? Currently running small bag of charcoal, some bio ring type media and the "hard" sponge like material found in most AIO setups.

Would like to add some crabs, CBS maybe? There is a small blue lobster at pet store is pretty cool, but want to make sure the tank is stable.

Anything else I need to address at the moment? I have no test kit, relying on LPS to do water tests, have had it tested 2 times so far, but not since fish were added.

Thanks All

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, tank and clown fish seem to be doing well. I added a Coral Banded Shrimp, 5 hermit crabs and 2 snails to begin cleaning up some of the algae that is growing and pick some stuff out of the sand.

Today was my first water change, I swapped out approx 1.5 gallons, I didn't really have a great way to measure it, so just guessing.
20190731.jpg

Etmanning

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already added a fish? Didn't you set the tank up only a week or so ago?

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give a quick update, things are going really well, and the tank has become quite a hit at the office.

I currently have the 2 clown fish, Coral Banded, Emerald Crab, 5 Hermits and 2 snails.

I am pretty consistent with a 1g water change a week, with daily feedings.

Using the AIO middle chamber running charcoal and a bit of phosphate remover, which I dont plan to continue.

Feeding is tetra flakes w/garlic and just recently started with new life spectrum marine fish pellets.

I have been also working on the reef-pi setup as well (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-pi-build-total-newb.638462/) and that has been quite a learning adventure.

I dont really test my water, I take it to LPS or Petco every now and again.

I have a few new critters I plan to post on the ID thread to validate :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree its great its off to a nice start typical of skip cycle systems looks great. The coralline dots on that rock signify live rocks much older/underwater than your 1.5 mos here, proof they're skip cycle rocks.

*that can be used in such a powerful manner going forward, they're always skip cycle. regardless of whatever invades that tank one day, you can take it apart, kill off the invader outside the tank, rinse out all the sand, and the reason it doesn't die is the same reason it didn't die when you first set it up :)

you have a tank that can be part-cleaned, which means its immune to literally every invader in reefing. No need to identify an invader, or take a water measure, because they are always going to be skip cycle rocks that alone is the secret to never being invaded only full of coral and happy system

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going well so far, I have been doing a 1gal per week (sometimes 2 weeks) water change.

Currently have 2 Clownfish (maybe 1.5in each), 1 CBS, 1 Emerald Crab, 5 Hermit crabs and 2 snails. Just thought I would post the pic today.

Really want to add an anemone... but every says wait...

IMG_0374.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its as ready now for an anem as it will ever be, the waiting is to ensure stability and a decent feed/support network for the tank its good to go for nano appropriate anems

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning All.

Just updating where my tank stands today, and a few questions.

I have added a couple corals to the tank, I believe I have some kind of finger coral and a Moon Polyp Coral.

I have also added 2 Nassarius Snails to help with my extremely deep sand bed. Those were added last week.

I added the Anenome about 3 weeks ago, he moves around a bit, then usually ends up in the same spot. I am not sure what species he is. He has small purple tips on him when he is totally out and happy.

Been doing 1 gal water changes weekly, sometimes 2 gal if the Anenome doesnt look happy. Feeding mostly flake food, occasionally small pellets, and about once a week i give the Anenome and CBS a dried shrimp pellet.

Some current questions:
I have lots and lots of spionid worms. They seem to be fine, but there are quite a few. Checking on internet, it appears they don't harm much, and hard to get rid of, so I am thinking just leave it be.

I am going to need a new light I think to add more colorful corals. I am thinking the Fluval Marine Reef light, its about $100 at the local pet store, and seems like the best bet to modify my hood. I feel like this will be my next purchase. Any other thoughts on this? I have to have the lid since its at the office.

I have added a new jet to the system because I felt the default pump wasn't stirring enough. After doing some reading I bought this nice 425 pump, but it is WAY too strong. No idea how people put that in a 9gal tank. I am planning on making a plexiglass "cover" and drill some holes in it, and superglue it to the front of the jet. Any reason this won't work?

My clownfish haven't hosted in the anenome, I read some stuff talking about forcing them into it by sliding plexiglass into the tank to make them share the same small space. This seems like too much and stressful, so if there are any other tips, I would love to hear them.

I have found 2 small featherdusters on the rock as well, they are really cool, but so small.

I am open to suggestions on what to add next. Current load is:
2 clown fish
1 emerald crab
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
5 hermit crabs
2 "snails"
2 Nassarius Snails
Moon Polyp Coral
Leather Finger

Not sure what next addition will be, I was wanting a starfish, but feel like they are just too big for this tank.

IMG_0643.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a cover for my 425gal jet, just using some plexiglass, dremmel tool, drill and superglue. I think the holes are too small, so I may need to open it up more, but now my coral and anenome are at least "flowing".
pump.jpg

Back