Fluval biological enhancer or turbo start?

brookiecookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to buy a tank soon but I’m not sure what beneficial bacteria I should use to start my tanks cycle. So many YouTube videos and people say to use Turbo start, but I’ve also heard about the fluval cycle biological enhancer, would anyone know which is best?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither, see Aquabiomics article. Bacteria products like those two won't hurt but they are likely the same bacteria species. FWIW less than 2% of the microbial stuff can be cultured andstuck in a bottle. Wild or maricultured live rock (not dry rosk that's got the some bacteria added) not only adds important microbial stuff that can't be stuck in a bottle but also cryptic sponges essential for a healthy reef ecosystem. When I establish a new system I'll use 1/4 to 1/2 lb per gallon but even a few pieces helps, then also use some live sand (~cup) and some water (1 or 2 bucets) from a healthy reef system and start doing small weekly water changes in a week or two. Here's some linkd you may find intersting:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back