Fluval evo 13.5 for acropora?

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I'm new to both the reef scene and the forum. I believe I caught the bug of wanting to grow some corals. Though I'm considering starting small, Acropora and SPS style corals are what I'm most interested in. Can these kinds of corals be propagated in a compact tank like the stock Fluval evo 13.5? If not, what upgrades would be most beneficial to try for success in this tank? Additionally, I would welcome any information on a better setup for growing these kinds of corals! I've done some research and know that these might be the tougher ones to grow, but I always love a challenge and money isn't really an issue to figure out a good compact setup to try this out. If you can, give me a list of tanks/pumps/lights or anything on your mind to look at for success in the field!

Lou Lou B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I'm new to both the reef scene and the forum. I believe I caught the bug of wanting to grow some corals. Though I'm considering starting small, Acropora and SPS style corals are what I'm most interested in. Can these kinds of corals be propagated in a compact tank like the stock Fluval evo 13.5? If not, what upgrades would be most beneficial to try for success in this tank? Additionally, I would welcome any information on a better setup for growing these kinds of corals! I've done some research and know that these might be the tougher ones to grow, but I always love a challenge and money isn't really an issue to figure out a good compact setup to try this out. If you can, give me a list of tanks/pumps/lights or anything on your mind to look at for success in the field!
welcome im new too, joined forum yesterday and my first saltwater tank cycled in july so not much for advice just wanted to introduce myself

OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome im new too, joined forum yesterday and my first saltwater tank cycled in july so not much for advice just wanted to introduce myself
Hey nice to meet you, and good luck with your tank!! Any ideas of what you plan on putting in it?

Im anxious to see how I should go about growing some acros :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they can. Stability is the biggest factor. @woodyarmadillo has a small tank with acro success and I think @StatelineReefer would have good input for success as well. @stoney7713 has that exact tank, not sure if his larger one houses his all his acros or not though.
Heyo! Thanks for the input. I wonder if they are using the stock light/top that comes with it or have any input on some good upgrades to get before I even begin the journey down the rabbit hole.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo! Thanks for the input. I wonder if they are using the stock light/top that comes with it or have any input on some good upgrades to get before I even begin the journey down the rabbit hole.
I'm using a 4 gallon low iron to grow out some frags, I haven't revealed it to the world at large yet, but as Kasrift said, stability is the main thing. So an auto top off and consistent Alk and Calcium, as well as stable salinity, are your key concerns in a smaller tank. Once you nail those down, you're set. Calcium and Alk are best controlled by water changes in a sub 50 gallon tank. 5 gallons or 10% every two weeks, depending on your nitrate and phosphate desired levels. Keep a moderate current, and DEFINITELY go bare bottom if you can. Sand in a small tank for acropora is a recipe for frustration

OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a 4 gallon low iron to grow out some frags, I haven't revealed it to the world at large yet, but as Kasrift said, stability is the main thing. So an auto top off and consistent Alk and Calcium, as well as stable salinity, are your key concerns in a smaller tank. Once you nail those down, you're set. Calcium and Alk are best controlled by water changes in a sub 50 gallon tank. 5 gallons or 10% every two weeks, depending on your nitrate and phosphate desired levels. Keep a moderate current, and DEFINITELY go bare bottom if you can. Sand in a small tank for acropora is a recipe for frustration
Oh how awesome, that would be amazing to see. But don't let me spoil your secrets :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:. Stability definitely seems to be the key theme here. How about lighting? My original assumption was that the evo's light that comes with it was probably not going to cut it. What do you think?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you should have no problem, it's not really that difficult the stock light should work fine for starting out, to cycle the tank.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have not tried Acros with the stock light, I used it for awhile for softies and LPS. I upgraded the light when I added some nems, but honestly I don't think I needed to. My nems actually don't seem to enjoy the extra light and I think the stock light would have been fine. I got a noopsyche k7 v3, turned way way down.

I think for easier less light demanding SPS the stock light would do fine. With the stock light I was getting 300+ maybe 350 at the surface and about 100 on the sandbed. With the noopsyche I had it tuned for 400 at the surface, but have since turned it down.

Monti Digis, stubbs, birdnest, and such would probably be fine. Tenius and Millis probably would really depend on which ones, in my research on the tank I have seen some people keep them and others said it did not work out. A lot of them are really light hungry.

My opinion keep the stock light and lid for now, get your tank stabilized.

Use live ocean rock from TBS, Gulf Live Rock, KP if you can, it will avoid a lot of the uglies. You might get lucky and get some cool hitchhikers and maybe corals on it too. Either upgrade the stock pump or add a small powerhead for circulation. Look into a chamber 1 insert.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm of the mind that Lighting isn't as critical as flow. Acros will adapt to ANY lighting... They cannot deal with poor flow.

OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great tips and help.
Any suggestions on a solid powerhead for this size?

Regarding parameters, although I'm sure I can find some good initial values for alkalinity, calcium, and salinity online, nothing beats talking with pros in the field like you guys. What would be the most suitable parameters for Acropora tenius (my favorite).

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great tips and help.
Any suggestions on a solid powerhead for this size?

Regarding parameters, although I'm sure I can find some good initial values for alkalinity, calcium, and salinity online, nothing beats talking with pros in the field like you guys. What would be the most suitable parameters for Acropora tenius (my favorite).
Jebao Sow 4 or slw 5 would work.

OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I plan on setting up my fluval soon, or perhaps spend a little extra buying a slightly larger one :face-without-mouth: to make it a little bit easier to maintain more constant water levels.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were local to Beloit, I'd give you my 120rr. 4'x2'x2'. but a good starter size for reef aquariums is actually a 40 breeder. You can get them at petco cheap when they do what used to be their 'dollar per gallon' sale.

OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were local to Beloit, I'd give you my 120rr. 4'x2'x2'. but a good starter size for reef aquariums is actually a 40 breeder. You can get them at petco cheap when they do what used to be their 'dollar per gallon' sale.
Man oh man I wish I was. That would be so amazing.
I was actually just looking at some breeders but I was unsure how I would go about drilling an overflow and plumbing.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It depends on your budget. stability wise, the bigger the better. Quantity and type of livestock you can keep, bigger the better. Maintenance ease, smaller the better (to a point).

If you have ambitions like acros and a specific budget, start with lighting and flow. See how much area and depth you can realistically afford to cover and still afford livestock.

I have a cube myself, but prefer the rectangle look. The pro of having a cube is it’s very equipment efficient. I only need 1 high powered light, and smart aquascape to have a 24x24 mixed reef. Not selling you on the cube, as I am upgrading to a 120 as soon as a good used one comes up in my area.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back