Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1695671032182.png

1695671049772.png

Someone is selling this in my area for 1000$ due to some living circumstances, is it a good deal? what do you guys think about Red Sea products and the tank itself? These were the only pictures provided by seller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your budget. stability wise, the bigger the better. Quantity and type of livestock you can keep, bigger the better. Maintenance ease, smaller the better (to a point).

If you have ambitions like acros and a specific budget, start with lighting and flow. See how much area and depth you can realistically afford to cover and still afford livestock.

I have a cube myself, but prefer the rectangle look. The pro of having a cube is it’s very equipment efficient. I only need 1 high powered light, and smart aquascape to have a 24x24 mixed reef. Not selling you on the cube, as I am upgrading to a 120 as soon as a good used one comes up in my area.
Yeah I totally get what you're saying and as others have said I would have a better time stabilizing a larger tank then a smaller one, I am deep in the rabbit hole and even thinking of using the fluval as perhaps a quarantine tank now...

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1695671032182.png

1695671049772.png

Someone is selling this in my area for 1000$ due to some living circumstances, is it a good deal? what do you guys think about Red Sea products and the tank itself? These were the only pictures provided by seller.
I would avoid a used Red Sea until you're familiar with the problems that particular tank style has and how to avoid or mitigate them. They're like the Chrysler of fishtanks.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1695671032182.png

1695671049772.png

I’d say if that whole tank and equipment is $1000 to seriously consider it. Red Sea g1 and g2 have some seam issues, but I believe red sea sells an upgrade kit to make a g2 a g2+ with reinforced seam and stand.

Those are 2 kessil ap9x’s with mounts that sell for about $500-$600 used each pretty easily. So there’s your $1000 back if needed or you want to go with different lights. If that tank is in good condition it’s a good deal. But whether this is right for you is up to you. A Fluval evo is dipping your toes in the water. This tank would be a much bigger commitment to move, stock, and maintain. Albeit you have a better chance for success with a bigger tank.

Look up the tanks dimensions online. Tape it out on the floor. Then put the evo in its place. See if you’re ready to stock and maintain the bigger one.

Edit: yea understand the risks of red sea before hopping in also

OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid a used Red Sea until you're familiar with the problems that particular tank style has and how to avoid or mitigate them. They're like the Chrysler of fishtanks.
Lol!! To funny. I like a challenge, but problems such as complete tank failure? Glass Cracking? Or problems that just require the proper maintenance? It seems like such a beautiful tank especially for the money considering its original price brand new.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol!! To funny. I like a challenge, but problems such as complete tank failure? Glass Cracking? Or problems that just require the proper maintenance? It seems like such a beautiful tank especially for the money considering its original price brand new.
The earlier models, and some reports of later models, had an issue with the front glass seam splitting. Whether it's design, stress on the glass, poor quality silicone, or whatever, I find it's not worth the risk unless you know how to properly seal and support the front glass design to mitigate what the original failure points are.

OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say if that whole tank and equipment is $1000 to seriously consider it. Red Sea g1 and g2 have some seam issues, but I believe red sea sells an upgrade kit to make a g2 a g2+ with reinforced seam and stand.

Those are 2 kessil ap9x’s with mounts that sell for about $500-$600 used each pretty easily. So there’s your $1000 back if needed or you want to go with different lights. If that tank is in good condition it’s a good deal. But whether this is right for you is up to you. A Fluval evo is dipping your toes in the water. This tank would be a much bigger commitment to move, stock, and maintain. Albeit you have a better chance for success with a bigger tank.

Look up the tanks dimensions online. Tape it out on the floor. Then put the evo in its place. See if you’re ready to stock and maintain the bigger one.

Edit: yea understand the risks of red sea before hopping in also
Thanks! I'll definitely do the tape trick if I find it worthy of a purchase. I'm pretty skeptical now about the points of failures mentioned above. I don't have much knowledge about glass seams but prior to even setting up a tank will those upgrades for the reinforced seam still be viable to prevent this from happening?

Last edited:

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve never had a seam failure and am probably not as scared as I should be of them. Also remember no one here nor red sea are going to pay to replace your floors if 120g of saltwater goes everywhere, so do your own research.

The safest way is to go new. But if you’re like me, my wife isn’t cool with a black rimmed petco tank, and I can’t afford a new pretty rimless, so used is a mandatory risk for the foreseeable future. But maybe the red sea used is too risky to be worth it. Again do your own research.

OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you all recommend especially looking for if I did try to go and see how it is that would advise you to flee away as quickly as possible?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you all recommend especially looking for if I did try to go and see how it is that would advise you to flee away as quickly as possible?
If you do go look at the red sea tank. you can easily see any deformations or warning signs in the silicone itself, bubbles, sand between the glass and the silicone to ANY degree, or separation of the glass and silicone in the bottom lip, center or corner.

OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do go look at the red sea tank. you can easily see any deformations or warning signs in the silicone itself, bubbles, sand between the glass and the silicone to ANY degree, or separation of the glass and silicone in the bottom lip, center or corner.
Roger that, you're such a great guy man, thanks for answering so many of my inexperienced questions :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making a custom tank for a 40g would be great, but I have no idea where or how to start drilling holes in the tank for a overflow and sump
it's pretty easy but your right you should start simple, and learn from the ground up! I'd get a AIO tank and learn the hobby slow, don't get influenced by all the expensive toys and giant tanks.

here's a link for sc aquariums. I have a 120 from them I'm pretty happy with it and they have a good glass quality for the prices, and they have a black friday sale every year.

OP
OP
Acro Edd

Acro Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's pretty easy but your right you should start simple, and learn from the ground up! I'd get a AIO tank and learn the hobby slow, don't get influenced by all the expensive toys and giant tanks.

here's a link for sc aquariums. I have a 120 from them I'm pretty happy with it and they have a good glass quality for the prices, and they have a black friday sale every year.

Thank you, I've never seen SCAquariums before but they look really good!

I think I'll skip the whole red sea tank for my sanity, and perhaps go with the Fluval and maybe a home made 40g if I figure out a good method to drill it and make a sump.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I've never seen SCAquariums before but they look really good!

I think I'll skip the whole red sea tank for my sanity, and perhaps go with the Fluval and maybe a home made 40g if I figure out a good method to drill it and make a sump.

that's probably a good move, but I know of plenty of good redsea tanks out there I think alot of those issues could have to do with person to person set up not necessarily a manufacturing issue. and they are probably the most common tank set up out there more numbers of course there are going to be more stories about them. but that's a "premium" set up for a first tank I would go easy and cheaper it's crazy how the $$$ adds up fast! smaller tanks help slow down the cost and spending. :)good luck!

here's a few ideas

Thread 'Drilling a Aqueon 40 gallon breeder' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/drilling-a-aqueon-40-gallon-breeder.413514/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back